Anyone feel like testing their tank?

candycane

Are there any people out there that would happen to have or be willing to purchase a DO test from whoever and testing their water every 4-8-12-15-18-20 and 24 hours after feeding to see if the bacteria or natural occurring algae in a tank sucks down the DO and by how much?
I am going to; it would just be nice to have kind of a variation to go off of. Basically it would have to involve knowing the amount of protein and fat, ingredients, etc. in the food and then measuring out exactly how much is being fed.

aztec reef

Thats a great idea..
But, it won't be accurate..
Cause everyones tank is different, everytank has different bacterial colony abundance, different nitrifiers, water voulme,different bioload, different biological filters ect..
what u can do is test your tank your self by testing the nitrogen byproducts, that will show u how efficient your system rids of inorganics/organics>

candycane

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
http:///forum/post/2786027
Thats a great idea..
But, it won't be accurate..
Cause everyones tank is different, everytank has different bacterial colony abundance, different nitrifiers, water voulme,different bioload, different biological filters ect..
what u can do is test your tank your self by testing the nitrogen byproducts, that will show u how efficient your system rids of inorganics/organics>
"I am going to; it would just be nice to have kind of a variation to go off of."

I don't want to know that; about "nitrogen byproducts".
Basically when the bacteria and algae kick in in my systems, they start using up more dissolved oxygen in the water. I want to see basically if there is what MIGHT be considered a "toxic constant" when it comes to feeding. I may be harming my tank right now and not even know.
Here's the best I can explain it. When I feed my tank the algae is going to start feeding off of the ammonium, nitrogen, etc. Then they are going to take in dissolved oxygen. Now if the levels of dissolved oxygen in the tank drop to dangerously low levels because of excessive feeding (I don't know what excessive is yet), then it might have the same effect on tank members as constantly raising and lowering the SG of a tank for no reason at all (or the temp for that matter). If the DO is dropping to levels where there is literally next to none for the tank inhabitants, then it MIGHT be nice to know about it. Also what could be done to possibly correct it; even if temporarily just for periods after feeding.

aztec reef

I don't think the uptake of DO would be dropped to excessive levels when feeding even if the feeding is excessive..
heres why: all coral, algeas, liverock and many organisms use photo as their energy, thus resulting in the byproduct of oxygen..
thast why in darkness oxygen is low..
what u can do is measure the DO levels at dark versus @ feeding times..
if levels drop lower than darkperiods then u may have a case, if not i wouldn't worry about it.

candycane

Did you know that there are MANY, MANY dead spots due to excessive ammonium and nitrogen causing certain areas of algae up and down the northeastern seaboard (and in the Gulf), to nearly completely absorb the DO, that they are actually named Dead Zones?
The excess nutrients in the water cause the algae to bloom or grow and absorb more then usual amounts of dissolved oxygen. There is no reason if an entire Bay or section of Ocean can do it, that my tanks can't do it as well. I understand that DO drops at night, yet it has become common place to feed at night?
Basically here is my concern. Food starts deteriorating the SECOND that it hits the water and starts pumping out ammonium and nitrogen. Then I have read that it is best to feed our corals at night, when the dissolved oxygen levels are lowest. That makes NO SENSE to me. You have bacteria and the naturally occurring algae in your system taking up the Dissolved Oxygen because of the fact that it also just got done eating other nutrients. From the small amount that I have been measuring, feeding more then 2-3 times a week MIGHT even be excessive based on what it does to Dissolved Oxygen levels over a complete "photo" period of 24 hours. And look at what Dissolved Oxygen controls, PH, Alk, Calc, Mag, etc.
Here's an interesting story
http://web.vims.edu/bridge/archive1099.html?svr=www
Then a map: I heard it got bigger since then
http://web.vims.edu/newsmedia/pop_up...july_2003.html
Then here's an area of Dead Zones as they drop in and out.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...3&source=embed