anyone have a Green Mandarin?

suzi1780

Just looking for some info on them... are they hard to care for? Do they work well in 55g FOWLR? Anyone have pics? Thanks!

jhebi

I wish I could have them...But unfurtunally I heard they are hard to take care of, very hard to take care of....that's why i didn't get it until I have more experience....

harndog

yes they are. you would be best to set your tank up with lr make sure you have a ton of copods hard to do if you have any other fish. Your tank needs to be up and running for at least 6 months I would say more like a year. All they will eat is live food. Most of them anyway. good luck if you decide to go this route. some lfs say they will eat frozen brine/mysis but I would have to witness the fish eating before I would buy it.

meekel454

may get a lil flame for this but i've had this tank set up for 6 years before adding the dragnet. i have a 29h fowlr ( slowly adding soft corals ) a few shrooms/polyps 2 in long clam. i've had the dragnet in this set up for about 1 1/2 years now maybe a lil more seems to be doing just great very active, never seen her go after any of the frozen foods i offer my mated clowns ( mysis shrimp/brine/blood worms ) altho my brittle will if given the chance.
i'm not saying i recommend this just saying it has worked for me
oh i have about 35ibs of live rock and 40 ibs of live sand ( orginally aragonite live reed sand ) please mind the spelling it's 3am

1st timer

Originally Posted by suzi1780
Just looking for some info on them... are they hard to care for? Do they work well in 55g FOWLR? Anyone have pics? Thanks!
I have a Blue Mandarin that I rescued from the LFS. My tank is a 75gal with 90lbs of liverock and 40lbs of live sand. With that said my tank was only 2 months old but it had a very healthy pod population.
I have since built two pod piles in the tank and the addition of a refugium has made him a very happy fish as far as I can tell and best of all he is no longer on his death bed and is actually starting to plump up(I have had him for one month now). My advice to you would be wait till you can see pods on the glass make pod piles and add maybe a HOB refuge.Anything you do to help his survival rate would be great as they are a very beautiful and hard fish to have and enjoy.Most of these fish die of starvation because they only eat copepods as mine almost did.
Here is a pic of mine in hover mode...

farmboy

We have a Mandarin in a 75 with about 100 pounds of LR and softies. THe tank was up and running for about 6 months before we got her(Mandy). Now we have added a fuge with LR and Chaeto.

suzi1780

Wow thanks for all the info! And thanks for the pics! They are really pretty fish!
Two questions here, I new at this so please pardon my goofy questions... what is the most basic explantion of a refugium? I have a basic idea and have read a lot of post on this site but I haven't found one that says "hey this is what this is!" Also what are pods? Sorry I just don't know

I have probably 50+lbs of LR, it is getting some good growth on it. I just finished my cycle about 2 weeks ago, my cycle was a month. I have 4 clown fish and a flame shrimp, and he molted the other day! Very cool! Just incase I am going to get flamed for 4 clown fish at once, they are a family that came from a friend's tank that is over populated.

1st timer

Originally Posted by suzi1780
Wow thanks for all the info! And thanks for the pics! They are really pretty fish!
Two questions here, I new at this so please pardon my goofy questions... what is the most basic explantion of a refugium? I have a basic idea and have read a lot of post on this site but I haven't found one that says "hey this is what this is!" Also what are pods? Sorry I just don't know

I have probably 50+lbs of LR, it is getting some good growth on it. I just finished my cycle about 2 weeks ago, my cycle was a month. I have 4 clown fish and a flame shrimp, and he molted the other day! Very cool! Just incase I am going to get flamed for 4 clown fish at once, they are a family that came from a friend's tank that is over populated.

This is a Refugeium...
http://www.LINK VIOLATION.com/Produc...1&N=2004&Nty=1
They are a place that filters your water and a safe haven for the propagation of all forms of copepods,just google or use your favorite search engine for " Copepods " ...and just in case a pod pile is a pile of liverock with some type of food for the copepods to eat and well make more pods as long as its not disturbed by invaders for the food...

teresaq

I have a green female too. she is in my 55 gal, witha hob fuge. she also eats mysis and live brine. (i have seen it myself)

1st timer

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
I have a green female too. she is in my 55 gal, witha hob fuge. she also eats mysis and live brine. (i have seen it myself)
Your lucky,mine will not touch them...

suzi1780

Thanks for the info! That was very helpful. It looks like Refugiums are a really great thing! I don't think I would want the type that hang on the side of the tank, could I get something like a 10 gallon and put it under my stand? The one that goes inside the tank doesn't look to bad. And I just really need to put some lr and ls in it and it needs to go through a cycle.
Copepods are ugly!
My boyfriend thinks he needs to take me to a saltwater tank support group because I am too addicted! I read stuff on here all day and sit at my tank for hours at a time staring at it! I also spent like and hour talking to the guy at the lfs about tanks... I need a patch or something because I am hooked!
Okay here is another question, I have 1 power head in 55g, it is at the top... would you suggest another one?

crazyzeus1

We have a Mandarin too. LOVE it!!! We have pods & I have added some to our tank since we got the Mandarin about 6 weeks ago.
I got SUPER lucky...our Mandarin will eat anything...LOVES pellet food, loves frozen, enriched brine shrimp, & live brine are extra tasty too. I don't offer brine much....they're not very nutritous. But...from everything I've read, we have a VERY big exception to the rule (in that our Mandarin will eat all sorts of prepared foods).
Good luck!!!

jacknjill

i had a blue in my 55 for a couple of months. then one day a found her stuck in a hole in a rock. i had to pull her out (she was already dead) but she wasnt skinny so she must have gotten stuck?

meekel454

teresaq: mine looks exactly like yours does
just got done moving my entire setup to another room in the house so we can redo the ceiling ( leaked a lil while reroofing the house and the drywall sagged ) any way the mandrian seems to be the only fish not stressed already searching for pods.
i have seen a lot of pods in my filter i have a fluval 404 as the main filteri try not to disturb them much but it has to be done, currently i have no fuge, hopefully when i get a house sometime next spring my 30gal will become the fuge to a much larger tank i hope
oh yea i wouldn't add a mandrian for least 6 months cause i'm sure u have pods now but putting a mandrian in now will rapidly depelet the supply you need to wait long enough for the population is large enough that they can reproduce more or the same amout the fish will eat

1st timer

Originally Posted by crazyzeus1
I got SUPER lucky...our Mandarin will eat anything...LOVES pellet food
Good luck!!!

What type pellet have you tried? From what I have heard if one eats it another will follow...

mudplayerx

I have a psychedelic mandarin (green) in a 55 gallon established tank with 60 or so pounds of live rock, 3 inches of live sand, and tons of corals. He was on the verge of starvation at the lfs, so they definately don't last long in the wrong conditions.
He is definately my favorite fish in the hobby. Nothing messes with these fish either because they are poisonous. Never put more than 1 male in a tank though, they will kill one another guranteed.
ps- mine accepts no prepared foods. He eats nothing but pods, so make sure you have an established tank with lots of live rock/sand. Although some can be trained to take prepared foods, some will absolutely refuse.

qreef

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
I have a psychedelic mandarin (green) in a 55 gallon established tank with 60 or so pounds of live rock, 3 inches of live sand, and tons of corals. He was on the verge of starvation at the lfs, so they definately don't last long in the wrong conditions.
He is definately my favorite fish in the hobby. Nothing messes with these fish either because they are poisonous. Never put more than 1 male in a tank though, they will kill one another guranteed.
ps- mine accepts no prepared foods. He eats nothing but pods, so make sure you have an established tank with lots of live rock/sand. Although some can be trained to take prepared foods, some will absolutely refuse.
Mudplayerx,
How can you tell if you have a male for female Mandarin?

qreef

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
The dorsal fin on the male will have a sort of "projection" on it that is taller than the rest of the fin.

Thanks