Anyone have a puffer in a reef?

puffer32

Hubby has a valentini we want to put in our home tank. He is a LFS and we love this little guy and do not want to sell him. I know they are a problem with shrimp anything else they chomp on that we are not aware of?

teresaq

I had no problems with my valintini. had shrimp and snails. My hawiaan saddle liked to eat nass snails, but never bothered the shrimp or turbos.
TeresaQ

jonthefishguy

Originally Posted by Reefstar22
Why do they say they are NOT reef safe? - Do they nip corals? Or is it an invert issue?
They tend to eat inverts as well as bite on coral. They do this to keep their beeks short so that they dont over grow.

reefstar22

No puffer for me then! :) - I dont think the verts would be an issue as I dont have many, but I would hate for my corals to get nipped!

jay&beck

I have a valentini puffer in my tank with coral and shrimp and the valentini does not bother anything in my tank. I use to have a blue dot puffer and it also did not bother my coral. Just feed it some brine shrimp to keep it's teeth dull.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by puffer32
Hubby has a valentini we want to put in our home tank. He is a LFS and we love this little guy and do not want to sell him. I know they are a problem with shrimp anything else they chomp on that we are not aware of?

My V-puffer ate my cleaner shrimp.
Mc

puffer32

Originally Posted by grumpygils
My V-puffer ate my cleaner shrimp.
Mc
No shrimp at all in my tank, I was concerned about snails and crabs.

tropills

8 in, porcupine puffer in mine, he doesnt bother the corals, but has eaten a few snails and crabs ..Oh and my mated pair of true perc's, that really upset me.. here's a pic.

chevs10

i also have a procupine in my reef never bothered any coral but has eatin a few snails hes great my favorite fish.

psu

I have a valentin puffer w/ snails-hermits-bloodred and cleaner and she never
bothers any of them.

justlopin

I have a dog face puffer who has never touched any coral or any inverts or snails...I have not tried a shrimp in there since that is normally what he eats!

darknes

I had a blue spotted puffer in a reef tank for several years that never bothered anything. Valentini puffers tend to be more docile. However, not all fish act the same, and you could be unlucky and get an aggressive one.