anyone have an idea?

plumber

Happy Easter! Over flow problems

[hr]
Hi , Setting up 150 today dual overflows. I have a wet/dry made for tank I decided I would like more flow so I added another pump to drive system.My thinking one for each overflow pump1 1500gph, pump2 unknown, problem is return to wet dry sounds like waves crashing against rocks. I looked at overflows and noticed water rising then falling in sync with wave noise. any help or is this normal? The system is made by all glass aquarium and is a matched set.
Thanks John

I think I might of had this same problem with my tank just the other month. My tank was making a noise similar to that and my water level in my upper tank would rise and fall constantly untill one morning I woke up to a huge puddle. What caused this for my system was I had installed one of those pre filtering socks and not enough air was escaping out of the overflow. If you squeezed the sock below you could hear the overflow gurgle and than the flow of water increased dramaticly. If this sounds similar to your problem it seems in my mind as if the pump is allowing 100 gpm to flow into your tank and the filters only allow 50 gpm to return back to the pumps causing the backed up water flow. All I did was take the socks out and never had the problem since.

ryancw01

Well, I am going to suppose that you have the matching Mega-Flow Overflow kit in the tank if it is made by All-Glass. If you have the standard Overflow then each one will only handle 600gph for a total of 1200gph for the whole tank. If you max it out at 1200 then it is going to be noisy. That is just the way they are made.
If you want more flow then put more flow within the tank. It is a common misconception that you should have a lot of flow going through your sump, but this is not true. You should only be pumping 3-5 times your tank size through your sump per hour and the rest of the flow should be inside the tank in the form of powerheads. Live rock will take care of a lot of the filteration as long as you have the flow inside.