Anyone have surgery on herniated disks in neck?

ophiura

Hey all,
I have two herniated disks in my neck and one is causing a lot of spinal cord compression. Next week I'll get an "anterior cervical discectomy" and 2 level fusion. I'm not thrilled with the thought of them cutting through the front of my neck and working near my spinal cord
So I'm a bit scared...but then spinal cord compression ain't all great either :p
Has anyone had this surgery? What was the recovery like? I"m being told it is a pretty easy recovery, these days at least.
Did it hurt?
Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!

dragonzim

I had a diskectomy on my L4-L5 and L5-S1 disks in my lower back a few years ago. Not sure how similar the surgeries are since they were able to do mine strictly from the back, but I was home from work for 3 weeks. After about a week and a half the pain from the surgery was gone. The back pain that caused me to go for the surgery in the first place was gone the second I woke up from the procedure.
Good luck!!

E

eric b 125

it's a pretty common procedure, as odd as it sounds going into the body anteriorly to work on something posteriorly. the pressure should be relieved when you come to, and they will have you drugged up pretty right and proper. recovery time is on a case to case basis. it sounds like you are having this surgery on the upper part of your spinal column, so there is less pressure to begin with, but increased mobility. two week recoveries are common, but i say be prepared for a longer recovery period. my father had this surgery on his thoracic verterae 3 months ago and he has yet to go back to work, but he has a history of back problems. he's not in chronic pain, but has to lay down several times a day to keep it at a reasonable level. i would say this is a rare occurance and i think and hope you will be back on your feet, hands in the tank in no time!!!

el guapo

I had this done at C-6 C-7. I had a herniated disk and a bone chip that was pressing against the spinal cord . It was rough up until the surgery . They did the surgery around 1 PM and I was up and awake around 5:30 . Around midnight they brought me a pot pie to eat and it was a little rough going down . Kind of like having a sore throat from a cold . But that subsided over a few days . I really took it easy for the first few weeks Kept the brace on as much as I could stand it . I would say the over all recovery time was very short maybe a week or two tops and about 6 weeks before I was feeling like a normal person . Here I am 3 years later and I am involved in Kick boxing , Jujitsu . The worst part of it for me was the bruising on my collar bone from being in tration while they did the surgery . The incision should be about 2-3" and if the doctor is good nobody will see it . Mine is right in a wrinkle , For the first 6 months or so it was pink as any scar would be , But now nobody can tell . Its hard to see it even if your looking for it . I suggest lots of jello , pudding , yogurt, ice cream , soup at first . I went with the yogurt just to make sure I was getting plenty calcium to help the graft take place . I have taken some pretty mean shots since then and had no ill effects . Even with in the first two months I had a nasty altercation that ended with me landing on my head and shoulder and it did not effect it . Best thing is to know your limits and stick to them . Watch out for the Meds they can be rough to come off of depending on what your taking .
If you need to talk about it or just want to vent to somebody thats been there let me know .
Other wise
GOOD luck and you'll be fine .

ophiura

I have a severely herniated disk an C5-6 which has like obliterated the spinal canal (you can't see any white area around the spinal cord in the MRI). There is basically a "kink" in the spinal cord in that area. There is a second herniation an C6-7.
I have a lot of weakness in my right arm, neck/arm pain, weird sensations in my left arm, loads of muscle twitching (arms, torso and legs), weird electrical -like vibrations in my legs, possible leg weakness...
Originally an othopedic surgeon sent me for PT and put me on Celebrex. The PT hurt like *&^(&*^%*&%$&*^* and I had a very low threshold before causing some sort of symptom. The Celebrex didn't do anything. I think even the therapist thought there was something more going on but the orthopedist didn't show me the MRIs or explain anything.
I just went to a neurosurgeon and they were like "there is no pill or PT that will resolve this" and it must be fixed, regardless even of the symptoms. They are not promising that the symptoms will all go away. But even if some go away - like the "grinding" or crackling sound in my neck when I turn my head, I'll be happy :)
They are doing it outpatient and say in their experience it is about a week recovery - sooner for some people.

el guapo

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2934693
I have a severely herniated disk an C5-6 which has like obliterated the spinal canal (you can't see any white area around the spinal cord in the MRI). There is basically a "kink" in the spinal cord in that area. There is a second herniation an C6-7.
I have a lot of weakness in my right arm, neck/arm pain, weird sensations in my left arm, loads of muscle twitching (arms, torso and legs), weird electrical -like vibrations in my legs, possible leg weakness...
Originally an othopedic surgeon sent me for PT and put me on Celebrex. The PT hurt like *&^(&*^%*&%$&*^* and I had a very low threshold before causing some sort of symptom. The Celebrex didn't do anything. I think even the therapist thought there was something more going on but the orthopedist didn't show me the MRIs or explain anything.
I just went to a neurosurgeon and they were like "there is no pill or PT that will resolve this" and it must be fixed, regardless even of the symptoms. They are not promising that the symptoms will all go away. But even if some go away - like the "grinding" or crackling sound in my neck when I turn my head, I'll be happy :)
They are doing it outpatient and say in their experience it is about a week recovery - sooner for some people.

Everything your mentioning is the same as what I was going through . The Dr sent me to PT and they suggested a chiropractor . The visits to the chiro would eleviate the symptoms for a few hours but then it would be back . The more sessions I had the worse it would be . I finally said enough is enough . I talked to a lawyer since is was a car wreck that caused it . He sent me to get more x-rays and an MRI . Oh gee the whole time there was a chip pressing against the cord . The leg twitching and numbness in the arms was getting more than I could take . I was starting to worry about being able to hold my daughter . The overall general weakness was spooky .
So they are going to fuse three vertibray ? They said I might have to have the one above it done later on but there has been no sign of needing anything done .

S

saltfishweseek

I also have had this procedure done, and like it has been mentioned by others, recovery varies. I went into the surgery at 9:00 a.m and was complete by 1:00 p.m., and discharged the following morning, and I went home, took a happy pill, and jumped on my 48" Zero turn riding lawnmower and cut 3 1/2 acres down, then took another happy pill, and was good to go..
But I just advise not to do like me,, but you'll know what your limits are, and do things slow and accordingly..
Wish you the best, and PRAYERS are sent from me to you..
BTW,, I have 2 plates and 8 screws, and set off metal detectors all the time,,pretty amusing,,lol

ophiura

It is probably genetic. My mother has had loads of adult onset spinal issues. I think the underlying "problem" is called cervical spondylosis with myelepathy or something like that. Effectively, arthritis in the neck. Just that my mom was about 30 years older than I am now when things really started going wrong.
There are bone spurs and such so it has been unstable and deteriorating for awhile. The herniations are just kind of a symptom to some degree I guess. It was very sudden - 12/10, then probably another level went around 12/26 or so, though I've had pain for awhile (just thought it was muscular/stress).
El Guapo- funny you mention that. I am sure if I had kids it would have been a big issue. The first few days of it, brushing my teeth or picking up a cup of coffee were noticably more difficult. The weakness and terrible sensations really get old after awhile, so I am looking forward to having it done.
I know I need to stock up on the soft foods!!

ophiura

Originally Posted by saltfishweseek
http:///forum/post/2934722
I also have had this procedure done, and like it has been mentioned by others, recovery varies. I went into the surgery at 9:00 a.m and was complete by 1:00 p.m., and discharged the following morning, and I went home, took a happy pill, and jumped on my 48" Zero turn riding lawnmower and cut 3 1/2 acres down, then took another happy pill, and was good to go..
But I just advise not to do like me,, but you'll know what your limits are, and do things slow and accordingly..
Wish you the best, and PRAYERS are sent from me to you..
BTW,, I have 2 plates and 8 screws, and set off metal detectors all the time,,pretty amusing,,lol
I can definitely say...no mowing the lawn for me

Do you know what the plates are made of? I asked this question and everyone was like...no...doesn't do that. I guess they are titanium?
I don't know if I will have one longer plate or two short one's. They are fusing two levels.

el guapo

http:///forum/post/2934787

Do you know what the plates are made of? I asked this question and everyone was like...no...doesn't do that. I guess they are titanium?
I don't know if I will have one longer plate or two short one's. They are fusing two levels.

Titanium
It should be one long plate . with 6 screeews . Just a curious question .... Where are they getting the bone to use to fuse it from ??? Mine came from a medical cadaver .

S

saltfishweseek

http:///forum/post/2934787

NOT really sure, but mine tend to hit some detectors, and I know I have 2 plates n 8 screws, for an Xray was taken,, I have some cool pics of the whole thing also..

spiderwoman

I had a herniated disk in L4-L5 when I was 22. After walking like an old woman for 5 months, operation was the only option. It was done when you weren't allowed to sit for 4 weeks after surgery and got the long scar in the back. That isn't neck area so I really didn't fit your question.
I wish you all the best for the operation. It will go well!

ophiura

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/2934799
Titanium
It should be one long plate . with 6 screeews . Just a curious question .... Where are they getting the bone to use to fuse it from ??? Mine came from a medical cadaver .
Cadaver - they said using a hip graft would hurt more than the surgery itself.
The sort of plate they showed me would be more like the 2 smaller plates with 8 screws, but their model only had a one level fusion. So I don't know. I'll ask Tuesday when they do the pre-op. He told me to write down all my questions so I would remember them :p
Thanks for the pics! Its good to see the size of the incision.
And definitely thanks for the prayers!!!!!!
I need to start a list:
How many plates/screws
If they do these surgeries all the time, are they bored with them (I know what happens to work I am bored with!!)
What sort of anesthesia is used

el guapo

I will get the little lady to take a picture of it this afternoon so you can see what it looks like now .