Anyone have the aquac ev-120 skimmer?

mrdc

Looking to purchase one. I have read mostly good reviews but there are some bad ones too (nothing is perfect). I like this skimmer because I can run it outside my sump since I am limited on sump space. I just wonder how hard is is to dial in because even on the positive reviews, I see where some say it can be really hard to dial in and your water level needs to be very stable in the sump. Well something like that.

acrylic51

IMO they aren't a plug and play skimmer such as a needle wheel skimmer, and for the money there are way better skimmers out there on the market as well.

mrdc

For the money, what do you recommend? Are there any you like that can be ran on the outside of the sump?

mrdc

I have been using an aqua c remora pro for years but just don't think it skims very well. I have to constanlty clean the port hole (or whatever it's called) in order to get some good foam. I like the marineland advance 100 skimmer concept because it can be used in 3-8" of water and it is a slim design and would fit into my sump. However, the reviews aren't great.

acrylic51

1 of my reasons for suggesting another skimmer option was constant fiddling with the unit. They would fall into the beckett class skimmer IMHO......They can be very finicky. I'm not super familiar with your tank, but what size system. I'd suggest a Reef Octopus or SWC.....

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdc http:///t/389876/anyone-have-the-aquac-ev-120-skimmer#post_3449132
For the money, what do you recommend? Are there any you like that can be ran on the outside of the sump?
Hmmmm depends what you want to spend....but honestly if you prefer to run a skimmer outside the sump I'd suggest the Reef Octopus externals. Again depending on size of tank dictates a bit. One thing with running an external skimmer is that if your sump level fluctuates it will not affect your external skimmer do to it is being fed a constant water source. A draw back is space it eats up sitting out, and in the event of an overflow you have a mess.....I've run MRC skimmers in the past and they are a work horse stripping machine....Needs a big pump to push the dual becketts, and it's a dual beckett, but like I had mentioned skimmers of this nature need constant tweaking to keep them to peak performance.

mrdc

Thanks for the info. The SWX Xtreme 160 looks promising. I will need to measure my sump space tongiht.

mrdc

I think it will fit but now I am also considering removing the wet/dry filter I have been using as a sump and squeeze the biggest sump I can under the stand. I can do a 20 I know and that may be as big as I can go but would be better than what I have now. If i go that approach, I need to design it where I can run some cheato in it to .... Need to get my man Slice on some design work!

mrdc

Well I finally plugged in the SWC this morning. My observations so far:
1. Solidly built
2. Small footprint
3. Doesn't require a high water level in the sump
4. Love the knobs at the top to adjust the water level and air intake
5. Super quiet. If it wasn't for the bubbles, I would not have known I turned it on.
I hope to dial it in when it has broken in and then I will be able to remove the HOB remora and be able to remove the big pump from the display that is running the remora.

mrdc

I also added 20+lbs of live rock and will need to add about 20 more lbs. Then I think I will be done for awhile.