anyone know a lot about a clutch?

criminal

ok so here's what happened to me . . .
i was getting off the highway on my way home from work and i press on the clutch to downshift and when i pushed the pedal in i felt a pop and it stopped working but i didn't smell anything like if the clutch burned. the funny part is i brought it to my friends house on a flat bed tow truck and then when we get there i pushed the clutch in and started the car so thats a little strange . . . it just won't go into gear when the car is on. i can put it into gear fine when the car is off.
if anyone knows what this could be it would be great.
Matt
P.S. i know a bit about cars and my friend even more so i'm prob going to fix this myself or try at least.

stang66200

The ability to start the car with the clutch is based on a switch, so the car starting only shows the switch is still working. If it is a cable clutch, you could have broke the cable. If it is a hydraulic clutch, you could have blown out the clutch slave cylinder.

chipmaker

Never heard of an idler gear on a car..
Its definately a clutch or the clutch operating system....linkage, cable, hyd slave, clutch fork or ???? Look up under it while some one pushes on the clutch. Look along side the bellhousing and see if the linkage or hydrauic cyclinder is moving at all....

tangman99

Sounded like something that happened to my Trans Am a long time ago. The guy who fixed it called it an idler gear so that is what I was calling it. It was a gear in the transmission that had about 4 teeth broken off.

phixer

The reason it will go into gear when the engine is off is because nothing is rotating. Is this a Hyd clutch, i.e slave cyl or direct linkage?
Most throwout bearings have a groove that the clutch fork lever rides in, take a look at the throwout bearing to make sure that both prongs of the clutch fork are resting in the groove. Have a helper cycle the clutch pedal while you are underneath watching the linkage or slave cylinder move the fork, if you can move the dust boot away far enough to get a light and mirror next to it you might even be able so see the throwout bearing engaging the pressure plate, otherwise, you may have to remove the tranny.
Downshifting is fun but is also hard on drivetrain parts, and your engine. You might want to stop down shifting as much, it puts unnecessary strain on your drive train and is not necessary unless you are racing. Brakes are cheaper than clutches and drivetrain parts.

socal57che

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
my dad hs a 57 chevy
I fixed it for ya.....yer dad sounds cool to me.
Q for criminal...What kind of car?
Suggestion for criminal...without the knowledge to diagnose the problem I suggest you find a Tech with the experience to repair your automobile for you. You don't want to play around with shimming the flywheel because someone told you to surface the flywheel and removed too much material or a dozen other things that could go awry. Not saying this is what will happen, but I've seen things go way south after people delve in beyond their capabilities. I spent years in dealerships and private shops (many as a transmission tech) and think you should find someone at a local shop who moonlights. Most tranny guys do this stuff at home, too.

ryanhayes9

yeah its black. it used to have 3 on a tree. i think thats what they called it. its got a corvette motor too