Anyone know how to get rid of a skunk?

bionicarm

Looks like another skunk has taken residence under my pool. I was in the backyard doing some work yesterday, when I saw this black and white object in the corner of my eye. I turned around and see this skunk tail going underneath my pool. Walked over to the spot, and he apparently dug himself a nice den under one corner of my deck. What's the best way of getting rid of the critter? I've got one of those humane traps I've used to catch Coons, Possums, and feral cats. My problem is, what do I do with a skunk if I catch it? If I try to get close to the cage to throw a blanket over it, I'm afraid I'll get nailed with skunk spray. I'd shoot it in the head with my 9mm, but my neighbor behind me would surely call the cops, and I'd get sighted for discharging a firearm in public. Is there some kind of deterrent I can spread around the area that will chase him off? A co-worker suggested Peppermint Oil. Seems rodents hate the smell. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

meowzer

well since shooting it is out
....try a smoke bomb.....
I'm not sure how fast you can run though...LOL...but if you set the smoke bomb in the opening the skunk should run out
.....Then you have to seal it opening...

el guapo

Call a professional . It will cost you , But at the end of the day you won't smell like a skunk .

yearofthenick

I say take the risk and shoot it.... lol
I think the humane trap/blanket is the best idea, only because it's the most humane and you don't get ticketed (and it's free). You can set it free outside the city or something.
I wouldn't bury it alive though... that's just cruel. If there's a hell for me, being buried alive is what happens there.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/3040671
Call a professional . It will cost you , But at the end of the day you won't smell like a skunk .
I don't think trapping him would be a problem. He seems rto be enjoying the leftovers in our garbage cans (even the sealed ones). The problem I have is what to do with him once he's in the trap. If I try to get close to the trap, I'm sure the tail will come up. I have an old blanket I can throw away, it's just getting it tossed over the trap, picking up the trap, and releasing the skunk when I get him over to a State Wilderness Park that's not too far from my house (that's where the coons and possums go).

renogaw

well, that's your issue... get rid of the excess food! everyone needs to be on the clean plate club, and/or you need a garbage disposal, and/or you need to talk to your town about getting a composter, and/or you need better garbage cans man...

bionicarm

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/3040695
well, that's your issue... get rid of the excess food! everyone needs to be on the clean plate club, and/or you need a garbage disposal, and/or you need to talk to your town about getting a composter, and/or you need better garbage cans man...
Our city uses these giant plastic 60-gallon or whatever cans that can be picked up with the trucks with the automated arms. I can only wheel it out once per week. It has this flip lid, but I've had coons push it open. Right now, it has a small hole in the bottom where some critter apparently chewed to get inside the can. I can plug it with something, but that doesn't seem to stop them. Tell a 14 and 17 year old to clean their plates. They devour their food, but still leave leftovers.

el guapo

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3040682
I don't think trapping him would be a problem. He seems rto be enjoying the leftovers in our garbage cans (even the sealed ones). The problem I have is what to do with him once he's in the trap. If I try to get close to the trap, I'm sure the tail will come up. I have an old blanket I can throw away, it's just getting it tossed over the trap, picking up the trap, and releasing the skunk when I get him over to a State Wilderness Park that's not too far from my house (that's where the coons and possums go).

Bash it with a huge rock?

meowzer

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3040768
Excellent! Now I have to practice opening the sping-loaded trap door before I try catching him. The last time I caught a coon, I remember it was a little tough grabbing the door and holding it open while he bolted out. I need to find something that will hold the door open so I can get out of the way of the trap so he can leave when he wants to.
Didn't you say you had teenagers

jdl

try antifreeze...however any dog/cat that takes a drink will end up where you want the skunk