Anyone know much about electricity??

nasotang00

I calculated all the power requirements on my system today. I have just started to pop circuits lately. I am currently running about 1100-1200 total watts of power. I am looking to run a dedicated power line to my system. For the above needed power reqs, will one 20 amp circuit be ok? What should I do? here is what I am running
QTY, Devices, Total wattage
2 , 175w Metal Halide, 350
2,96w Power Compacts Lights,192
1,65w Power Compact Light,65
2,150w heaters, 300
1,25w Incandesant Light,25
1,Return Pump Rio 2500,55
1,Skimmer Pump Cap 800,55
2,Maxi Jet 1200 Powerheads,40
2,Maxi Jet 900 Powerheads,20
Total of 1102 give or take.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

reefnut

naso, 1102 watts = around 10amps at 110volts. A 20amp breaker should work fine. Is your tank on a GFCI receptacle or breaker?

S

sebae0

divide watts by 120(volts) and this will give you how many amps your drawing from the circuit. hth

nasotang00

Thanks all for the help.
Actually, I don' t know what starts the trip. The circuit that the system is on also runs numerous lights in the room as well as other electronic equip. Actually, I think that the circuit is running the whole room as well as 1/2 of another.
I have also started to smell a electric burn type of smell. This has just now started happening about 3 days ago. I have not added any equipment in the last month or two.
it is kind of wierd. That is why I am looking to run a dedicated line. Oh yeah, it will be on a GFC breaker.
Thanks again

I would run a dedicated line if i was you. I did just to be safe. Also, every time a breaker trips it loses a little, ie a 20 amp breaker trips it might only take 19.9 amps to trip it next time. sounds like a little, but add it up if it trips 10 times, then your 20 amp is now a 19 amp. We had the same problem on a 400 amp breaker at werk. it kept tripping and could not figure out why. Some tech at Allen Bradly told me that, swapped breaker and all good now.
Dunno if ya can, but get a current clamp with a Hi/Lo setting on it, let it run a coupla days, and check to see what the high was. Could be that you have enuf to run everything on your circut when it is running, but not enuf to handle the start up surge. Kinda like when your AC kicks on, the house dims just a little.
Just my 2 cents:)

I had a similar incident where a cheap power strip was not making a good connections with the plug on a peice of equipment. This was causing an arc to occur.
I smelled it for a few days until enough heat was being caused to discolor the plastic.
When I pulled it a part, the inside of the plug and of the socket were charred.
Check all of your connections. It will only take a few moments, but it may cure your problem... or prevent serious hassles.