Anyone tried argocrete?

benj420

Curing some right now, haven't used it yet. Saw some at my LFS that swears they are the best thing since sliced bread. Only $2 per pound and they have been sitting in a tank with their other LR (growing life). The only thing you need to make sure to do is to "cure" them in freshwater (daily changes) for a month (some say 2 weeks is fine, others go with 8 weeks) if you make them yourself.
Use "white" cement and aragonite, not established sand beds, you will kill all life during the manufacturing process anyway. Regular cement won't work, too much alkalinity.

jferrier

THanks 4:20!
Yeah I realize the sand bed life would be destroyed during the curing, but I have sand/ argonite/ crushed coral that I don't need and rather than throw it out I thought it would make an interesting texture. White cement (portland?)

benj420

Ya, as long as you don't mind losing any life that may be in it, go for it.
Something you may try would be to keep the sand where it's at, make some rock, cure it for a month, take it out and let it dry fully, then bury the rock in the LS for a week or two, then put it in the tank you want. It will kick start the growth and pulls the "good stuff" in when it absorbs water.
Yes, white portland cement. It's $13-18 per bag, but that's what it has to be. One bag will make you a lot of rock.

jferrier

I've never heard of "white" cement. Neither had the guy at home depot (but then again those guys never seem to no anything)
I've found portland cement and it looks white but will it actually say white on the packaging? Thanks for the info.

kelly

I doubt if it will say white on the packaging, but I have heard to use Portland cement. That is what garf recommends.
Best wishes.

glinton

Yes, use portland cement. Call the people at garf and they will be able to tell you the specifics. From what I remember the cement can be found at certain types of art supply stores, but I am not sure. Call garf and they can tell you better.
Hope this helps.

Portland cement does come in "white" it will say white on the bag. If you mix it with white masonary sand you will get white rock. If you mix it with regular sand you get what is refered to as "salt and pepper"
SiF

jonthefb

my boss used the agrocrete method to make some arches for his tank and i gotta say that although it looked weird at first it is now spectacular. a great idea in my opinion!
good luck
jon

dinhouse

I have made some and used it in my tank with no problems. It is very in portant that you cure it properly and dont rush it! When I cured mine for the first two weeks I just let it sit in fresh water so that the rock could just "Leach out". There will be a nice film that will build up on the surface of the water. You will know when to change the water! I did about every three days or so. Then I added a small powerhead after a few weeks and changed the water every week or so (rinsing the rock off after each water change) Then I cured it in saltwater until I got the ph down. I let them dry out and added them to my tank slowly. It took a little while but Ccoraline will grow on them. I used c.c, southdown sand, and portland cement.

jferrier

I originally got the idea from the garf site, but they just say use grade 2 or 3 portland cement (which is just regular portland cement.)
Those of you that have done this before did you check your parameters and what species did you have in your tank?
Did you use "white" or regular cement? I appreciate the feedback.

prater

Also check with local bulk cement operations. Many sell portland to ready mix companies, and if any cement is spilled it cannot be used in the industry. Many times they give it away to someone that is willing to bring a bucket and a shovel.