Anyone tried Instant Ocean's natural nitrate reducer?

halamaya

So I started using this stuff after my LFS got it in a couple monthes ago. I've been using it in my 55 gal FOWLR, my nitrates were at 20 all the time. I have a Eheim canister filter a BioPak skimmer, and a 3 gal hang on refugium. Afetr first month of using Instant Ocean's product I went down to 10 nitrates. A month later 0-5 nitrates and some of my macro algae started to die in my refugium even. this is an aggressive tank so there's lots of food going in. Wondered if anyone else has tested this product yet?

halamaya

I'm sure this is totally a replacement for the vodka dosing. I'd probably just drink the vodka though.
This stuff is less risky for us less experienced people also. I'm sure you can find it cheaper but 17.99 for a 16.9 oz bottle. I was just suprised that it actually worked aswell as it did.

bmkj02

Interested to see what others say.
Vodka seems like a good thing but too complicating. I looked into it and I was just turned off by it.

cranberry

For 17.99 you can get a whole bag of salt for a 50g water change... that'll bring your nitrates down.
Oh you know that suggestion was coming

spanko

Did you read reef builders write up?
Natural Nitrate Reducer from Instant Ocean aims to deliver fluid form of Solid Vodka Dosing via Suspended Biodegradable Polymers
Posted on December 11th, 2009 by Brian Blank 5 Leave a comment
instant-ocean-nitrate-remover
Natural Nitrate Reducer from Instant Ocean is one of the company’s latest products that claims to use “Suspended Biodegradable Polymers” which sounds very much to us like fluid Solid Vodka Dosing. Having another large company hitting the market with a product that appears to use a time released biologically degradable ingredient akin to the solid vodka dosing methods similar to products such as NP Reducing BioPellets is intriguing. Carbon and vodka dosing have been controversial methods in the hobby but do have documented results and may just be a matter of time before this becomes the next bottle craze in the hobby. The product is made in Germany and has a U.S. Patent that was issued back in 2007. The patent abstract states, “The invention relates to agents for the removal or reduction of inorganic nitrogen compounds, especially nitrate, from biological aquarium waters, containing a biologically degradable polymer, preferably polycaprolactone (PCL) and to the utilization of said agents.” With a heads up from a tipster who’s putting the product through its paces let us know the product appears to have small beads in the liquid suspension that described it looking like an egg mass when dosed in the tank that clears up in a couple of hours. From the patent description, it looks like the products beads settle in the tank mixing with the substrate and finding other nooks and crannies to set up shop then giving nitrate reducing bacteria a food source to proliferate over time. We have already seen other products using biologically available polymers such as the BioPellets and Tropic Marin’s Reef Actif and BioActif lines, it may only be a matter of time before more companies get on the bandwagon. Instant Ocean’s product retails for around $6.99 USD for a 250 ml bottle or $11.99 USD for a 500 ml bottle. Follow the read link for some blurbs from the the press release on this new nitrate reducing product.
Use regularly for long-term reduction and control of nitrate. Nitrate is the end product of the natural nitrogen cycle and may also be found in tap water. It is recommended to keep low nitrate levels for healthy aquarium conditions. Instant Ocean’s patented formula promotes the natural denitrification process of converting nitrate to nitrogen gas. This advanced bio-chemistry is found in nature and helps maintain healthy aquarium conditions.
* Simple to use; no complicated reactors or replacing resins
* Reduces unwanted nutrients
* Naturally increases buffering capacity
* Available in 250ml and 500ml sizes
* Use 10ml per 10 gallons

halamaya

Thats why I posted it, I wanted to hear what everybody has to say about this stuff good and bad.
Told you that you could find it cheaper. My LFS is great but pricey with this kind of stuff, they just don't get very much at a time. Looking at the bottle i noticed it doesn't really say how much you need to use to keep your levels low. Just says dose rate can be doubled per week for additional nitrate control. I took it for once a week, wonder if you could dose less than that. I just like how easy it is to use so far. I didn't think it would actually make a difference in my water quality. Now I'm trying it in my 20 gal tank to see if we can go from 5-10 nitrates down to 0 while only dosing once a month. %% I forgot to say in my 55 gal the beads clear up in about 10 minutes, and the fish make the Mr. Yuck face when they try to eat it.

beaslbob

IMHO the best nitrate reducer is algae.
also
IMHO the best phosphate reducer is algae
IMHO the best carbon dioxide reducer is algae
IMHO the best oxygen generator is algae.
therefore
IMHO the best thing to do is recycle nitrate into fish food with macro algae.
my .02