Anyone tried the Tunze Turbelle stream pumps in a reef?

zanemoseley

So have you guys tried or heard anything about the tunze turbelle stream pumps, they are suppose to spread out current to a wide area, from what it looks only 1 may be enought for ciruclation for a whole tank, here's a description of the series and specs on thier base model $125 Thats their base model, they claim 1600 GPH on only 11 watts of power!!!!!!! The high end one is 3175GPH and have external control boxes.
Turbelle ® Stream
Conventional aquarium pumps generate excessively high flow rates in the core area of the water jet, but on the outside of the core area the current is too low. This difference leads to stress for the aquarium inhabitants, such as coral polyps. TUNZE® research sets new standards in current patterns with the aim of reproducing every zone of a coral reef in the aquarium. Our new Turbelle® stream pumps produce gentle current speeds at high flow rates of up to 12,000 litres (3,170 US gal.) per hour. These pumps are not suitable as filter pumps.
Turbelle ® Stream 6060
Output: 6000 l/h; 1600 gal/h
Speed control: No
Pump wattage: 11 W
Cable length: 2 m; 80"
Dimensions: ø 98 x 118 mm; ø 3.9 x 4.6"
Outlet diam.: ø 50 / 47 mm; ø 2" / 1.8"

zanemoseley

so could I get away with using the lowest model for circulation in a 75 gallon tank for the only means of circulation except for the skimmer return powered by a mag3, would that properly circulate the water?

tony detroit

They use them in a 220 reef at a lfs and it spreads a gently wide current that creates a very pleasing natural flow look in the tank.

krunk

the only thing i have heard bad about them, is the hang on clip, other then that people say they love the effects of the tunze.

jauringer

My local fish store uses them as well. they do a really good job of distibuting flow. The only reason I don't use one is because i only have a 46 bow. a turbelle streem would probably blow the front galss off of my tank.j/k.

zanemoseley

so if I put a Turbelle 6060 which is 1600GPH in the middle of one of the sides of a 75 would that work well for the only means of circulation except the mag3 skimmer return or should I stay with my original plan of using a mag9.5/spraybar

richard rendos

I just redid my 120 and have added a Turbelle 6060. This thing is awesome. Talk about water movement...you don't want this too close to the surface or you will have water in the floor. Best powerhead I have ever used.

zanemoseley

so would the low end one be too much for a 75 or would it be ok? also does anyone have a link to the manufacturer's website

timo

Originally posted by coralcollector
what a trolling motor!:D

Yea, and at 11 watts, you could fish all day!

timo

Originally posted by coralcollector
what a trolling motor!:D

Yea, and at 11 watts, you could fish all day!

dsp

I've been using two 6000's in a 90 and I am very happy with them. I cannot run them at the same time without blowing sand everywhere, so I have the multicontroller set to alternate them. I would check out the Tunze forum on -- for more information.

zanemoseley

what do you guys think, would one 6060 be too much or ok for my 75, I'd probably mount it in the center of on of the sides, it'd be the only circulation except for the mag3 skimmer return

overanalyzer

it would provide a constant current and if your skimmer was erturned on the other side it would be a nice little counter current - from the looks of ti it would work out a lot better than the in tank mag spray bar you were contemplating ....

zanemoseley

so you're saying I could put the tunze on the middle of one side and put the skimmer on the opposite side of the tank? in your opinion would the tunze be too much current?

clarkiiboi

Sorry I dont have the answer, I was hoping it was in the last post 'cause I am interested in some sort of new way to push my water in my 75 also. So bump...bump...bump :D

dsp

Whether or not a 6060 Stream will be too much flow for a four foot tank really depends on the type of corals you are keeping and more importantly the type of substrate you have. People using sugar fine sand have had a lot of trouble with these pumps producing sand storms. Larger grain sand appears to stay down better. Have you considered the 6000? This pump can be used with a Tunze multicontroller that you can set to pulse the pumps anywhere between 30% and 100% ., so you can tweak the flow to your needs. I am using two 6000 pumps, I have one set to pulse between about 50% and 100% while the other is set to pulse between about 30% and 70%. I cannot run them at the same time without sand blowing everywhere, so I alternate between the two about every 10 min. I also have a sea swirl putting out about 600 gph. HTH
DAve

wrassecal

This is very interesting. Anyone using one of these on a 135 with a dsb? without the additional surging or lower capacity? Would this work as the only current/flow producer in a tank that size?