Anyone use carbon on thier reef tanks?

spankey

I have a question? Does anyone use carbon on thier reef tanks? I have a 46 bow that just won't get crystal clear... Its clear but looks a tad cloudy... I thought about carbon.. I used to use "ACCU-CLEAR" on my freshwater tanks, but the bottle says for freshwater use only? This stuff worked wonders on the freshwater tanks... Anyone ever use this on a salt water tank?
Again, just really curious about the carbon though???
Thanks
Spankey

J

jfdjason

I use Carbon on mine with no problems....just got to remember to change it quite often.

viper_930

Yes, I just started using carbon. Cleaned up the cloudy tank real nicely, and cleared up the bad odors. It looses its effect after just a few days though.

clarkiiclo

Carbon is used to remove impurities from the water. It will filter out medications too.
I personally use Purigen packets and Poly Filter in my tank

reefnut

I run carbon one week a month in both tanks. Just remember to get a good quality carbon. Lower quality carbon can leach phosphates into your system.
Also, change it out at least once a month.

jenn-e

I run carbon 24/7 in a canister filter. I change out the carbon about once a month. How long it lasts depends on how much bioload you have and how much you're using.

jac913

Actually, I have a 44gallon tank, and I use the Aqua clear70 in mine. It does pretty good.
Did you just set it up? Did you just add some fish? If you did, it's probibly the Nitrogen cycle. It is perfectly normal, and it is doing it's thing. After it cycles, it will be perfectly clear. Just remember, don't over feed your fish!!

debbie

I use a carbon with my aqua clear and my water is crystal clear all the time except when I vacum.
Yes you have to remove it when you put meds in and the same goes for the freshwater too.

reefnut

Originally posted by jac913
NEVER EVER USE CARBON WITH MEDS!!!!!!!!

Never ever use meds... in the display anyway :nope:

mudplayerx

I have read in numerous books that you should remove the carbon once it is no longer needed (once the water has cleared).
I don't recall why, but I definatly read that having carbon in a reef tank 24/7 is not a good idea.

mike h.

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
I have read in numerous books that you should remove the carbon once it is no longer needed (once the water has cleared).
I don't recall why, but I definatly read that having carbon in a reef tank 24/7 is not a good idea.
On that note, I will remove mine...Did not know that. Thanx!

alyssia

Originally Posted by Debbie
I use a carbon with my aqua clear and my water is crystal clear all the time except when I vacum.
Yes you have to remove it when you put meds in and the same goes for the freshwater too.

Same here, I run carbon all the time and my water has neer been cloudy

mrdc

Originally Posted by mudplayerx

Could you elaborate on this? I use Chemi-Pure 24/7 so I would like more details. Thanks.

milomlo

I use Carbon 24/7 and I also just started using RENEW - never had ill effects My water is crystal clear and doesn't have an odor