Anyone useing or used 3/4" SCWD???

chris17

Is anyone useing/ used the 3/4" SCWD with any problems, like sound or anything? I am considering getting 2 for my 125g that will be in a living room which is where we/guests spend most of our time. I found them for 38.95 a peice not includeing shipping, anywhere I could get them for cheeper?

brandan

Originally Posted by chris17
http:///forum/post/2715153
Is anyone useing/ used the 3/4" SCWD with any problems, like sound or anything? I am considering getting 2 for my 125g that will be in a living room which is where we/guests spend most of our time. I found them for 38.95 a peice not includeing shipping, anywhere I could get them for cheeper?
I loved mine until it stopped oscillating. It lasted about 9 months or so. I would go with the "serviceable" 1" unit that is out. I wouldn't waste my time with the 3/4" unit.

hurt

I own 3 of them. I have two on my closed loop and another on my sump return. IF you regularly clean them(soak in vinegar every couple months) they will not fail. Ca will build up in them if you don't clean them, which will stop the gearing mechanism that enables them to switch outlets-that is the reason people have trouble with them.
I bought all of mine for $30 a peice as I remember, but that was three years ago. I'd do a search in Froogle for a SCWD.

brandan

Originally Posted by Hurt
http:///forum/post/2715360
I own 3 of them. I have two on my closed loop and another on my sump return. IF
you regularly clean them(soak in vinegar every couple month) they will not fail. Ca will build up in them if you don't clean them, which will stop the gearing mechanism that enables them to switch outlets-that is the reason people have trouble with them.
I bought all of mine for $30 a peice as I remember, but that was three years ago. I'd do a search in Froogle for a SCWD.
To me, taking apart a Closed loop system every 3 months just to soak something in vinegar is not worth it. If I am dissembling a CL, then I better be able to take apart the component I am getting to. Just my 2 cents

hurt

Originally Posted by Brandan
http:///forum/post/2715413
To me, taking apart a Closed loop system every 3 months just to soak something in vinegar is not worth it. If I am dissembling a CL, then I better be able to take apart the component I am getting to. Just my 2 cents

Which is why I put unions on all my SCWD's-it is very easy to take apart and clean/soak. Are you implying that the one inch SCWD's are somehow self cleaning and you never have to take them off line and clean them?
To me it's no different than cleaning return pumps. If you don't clean a return pump or powerhead-it will fail. I take the whole closed loop down and soak the SCWD's in vinegar, and I also put vinegar into the return pumps pvc fittings to clean it. If I did not do this, the pumps and SCWD's will fail regardless. Just part of the regular maintenance that comes with owning a SW tank. No tank is completely self sufficient. Any pump or powerhead should be cleaned every 3 months, unless you don't care if it fails.

brandan

I am not saying that they "self clean" or anything of that nature. I am saying that if I am going to take my CL apart, then I want to able to physically clean it, just like I can with my pumps, not just soak something in vinegar. I want to be able to see and inspect a component for any signs of near failure. And yes, I do clean and inspect my equipment regularly. Being able to see the insides makes me sleep much better knowing that my livestock is safe. I am not bumping heads with you here, we all have our preferences.

chris17

I think I may go with 2 3/4" units, I would rather spend 100 bucks on 2 than 1 and get a more random flow for both sides of the tank. Anybody else with any problems or comments about the SCWD units?

chris17

Hurt
Is there any other way of connecting the SCWD to the hard lines, or is useing the tubeing and clamps connected to other fittings ect..ect... the easiest way to do it?

hurt

Some people use tubing only. You can do this but I would make sure to use PVC glue also before you clamp it. If you use clamps only, it may very well leak. I wanted to make it rigid to support the closed loop, yet I wanted to be able to take it off line easily so I can clean them in vinegar, which is why I used pvc pipe and the unions. I used 3/4' to 1/2' adapters from Lowes/HD to connect the tubing from the squid to my 3/4' pvc the closed loop is made of. The tubing I used is 3/4' ID braided blue tracer hose also from HD/Lowes. I used PVC glue first on the 3 outlets of the SCWD's and also on the 1/2' side of the (3/4' to 1/2' pvc fittings) after I put the hose over each side(scwd outlet and 1/2' side) to connect them I used clamps to make sure they would not leak. If you do this it will not leak. This pic should help. If you need more info let me know.