Anyone watching Spartacus?

mrdc

I didn't like the episode where (Varru) his friend was killed. Spartacus also knows that his wife's death was no "accident". It will be interesting to see how the plot unfolds.

pontius

I think the show is great. it is much better than "Rome". and I also didn't care for "300" either.
for those who don't seem to know where the show is heading: Spartacus, Crixus, and Battiatus were actually real people. Spartacus and Crixus joined together and led a slave revolt and actually defeated the Romans in several military battles.

mrdc

I knew about Spartacus and Crixus leading the slave revolt and was wondering if that is what is going to eventually happen on this show. Right now Crixus wouldn’t do it because he is so gun ho about being a gladiator that he doesn’t think about anything except the ring. That is where Spartacus was getting to but now that he knows about the deceit concerning his wife and his friend being killed by his sword, he may see things differently now. Crixus may be persuaded to escape also if something should come of Naevia. I also think Doctore will eventually find out what really happened to Barca which will piss him off too. So much can happen but I know the season will end with a cliffhanger and we have to hope the show will return. I never watched Rome and now I am glad I didn’t get into that show because I hear that it eventually pissed off a lot of viewers with how it ended. The same goes with me when it comes to Deadwood.

cranberry

Rome ended beautifully. It was the best series I ever watched. I don't know how the ending could have been anything but what it was.... can't rewrite history.

pontius

mrdc,
Crixus is in love with the slave girl. that will be his motive and has already been alluded to in the show when Spartacus asked Crixus if he never dreamed of a life beyond the arena and his thoughts flashed to the girl.
Another side note in case no one had noticed: Battiatus' wife is played by Lucy Lawless aka Xena the Warrior Princess

mrdc

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/3255611
Another side note in case no one had noticed: Battiatus' wife is played by Lucy Lawless aka Xena the Warrior Princess
Oh yeah ... I like her current outfits way better than the ones whe wore as Xena! Sorry, I am just a horn dog!

pontius

I thought the first season of Rome was very good and should've ended it there. the second season was not that good, which is why the show was cancelled. The Roman empire didn't end with the death of Antony and Cleopatra, so there's definitely other ways it could've ended.

cranberry

No, but the show was definitely about him in the end. When he was done... the show was done.
I'm glad I enjoyed the heck out of it...

pontius

I don't know about that. in the grand scheme of things, Augustus was a much more important character than Antony.

mrdc

I also have a hard time seeing the guy playing Batiatus as this mean, conniving character. I still see him as the weasly scared character from the Mummy movies!

pontius

But he could/should have been. there were a lot of other things that went on in the Roman empire after that, but they ruined it and got cancelled. Season 2 was basically the Shakespeare play made for TV. in real life, Augustus was the important character, not Antony/Cleopatra.
and they barely made more than a passing mention of Agrippa who was as important a character than Antony.

cranberry

But it's not real life.... it was just suppose to be a mini series and they chose the highlight the characters they did. I'm sure there are many different paths it could have followed.
I'm glad it didn't follow the little boy.... I likes me a bit of ANTONY!

pontius

it was supposed to be a realistic look at the Roman Empire. the Antony/Cleopatra storyline was more important to the fall of the Egyptian Empire than it was to Rome. they basically made it into an unrealistic soap opera.

cranberry

PULLO!!!!!
There's room for more than one man in my life..... Antony, Pullo, Daniel Craig, Adam Lambert (no noise from the peanut gallery) and of course the best for last SAXMAN!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The Egyptian Empire ended with Anthony and Cleopatra, or the death of Cleo. She was Egypt's last pharaoh. Also, the Republic of Rome ended with the death of Anthony, as Augustus made Rome an empire, and himself Rome's first emperor.
I think its pretty clear that the Spartacus saga in first season is leading up to the slave rebellion.

mrdc

Wow Friday's episode exposed everything. So I guess we will see a lot of blood spilled this Friday and hope the show returns next year. The type of cancer that the actor who plays Spartacus has contracted has a 69% survival rate so hopefully he will recover.
Anyway, all the scerets comes out on the last episode.