Anyone who built their own stand

B

bocandoit

just built my own stand, for a 30 gal that my gal got me, i way over built it i know, using 8 2x4's on the vert side and 6 on the horizontal. actually picked up the lumber from a construction site i was working so it was free. i also know everyone makes their stands look all nice, but since our house looks like we travel and pick things up along the way i made the stand and hood look like wooden shipping containers. fits our house perfectly. next stand i am building will be for a 250 and that one i am going to build out of 3" steel tubing and weld her up good n' strong.

mburnickas

Yes, it was a copy of my old tank stand but used 1" thick oak...Then the wife wanted me to paint it yellow
...whatever I said.

jag3365

This is mine I made for my 125 awhile back, I am currently working on the canopy now. Got the basic idea off of searching on the web at different sites.

C

crowsridge

Here is a pic of a Hex stand for a 55 gallon tank. It is
made of Ribbon Mahogany

C

crowsridge

Here is another. It is made with raised panels, bisquits,
pocket holes screws, and the sides are rabbeted into
the base and top bands. Brass hardware and 6 coats
of Polyeurathane. I have pics of the canopy coming up.

Nice stuff!
I want to build a stand for myself, but I douobt I'll get it to look like that.
Wanna build me one?! :D

C

crowsridge

Thats how I pay for my Reef Habit and for my new wood shop:jumping:

brandons

Made mine with 4 10' 2x4s and boxed the corners like a house wall is. We put two braces across the bottom and two across he top and blocks with 45 degree cuts in the top corners to minimize twisting. Then we took 4" wide and 6" wide pine boards that were 1" thick and put them all the way around the outside alternating between the two. Also used the 4" wide pine to make a table top look on the top around the tank and to have an overhang then stained it.... I don't think it's ever going to collopse

marvida

Garf has a good stand building tool. You input the dimensions of the stand you want to build & it generates a cut list & a generic plan.

smoothounds

i threw this together for my 20 long. In the pictures it is no where near completed but is made of red oak with a 2x4 inner structure.

cdn_beaver

Here is a pic of the cabinet I built for my 25. Its still a work in prgress as I have to add afew glass shelves on the side and afew other small details. There is one large door at the top, and 2 smaller cabinet doors on the bottom for lots of storage and access to the tank for maintenance. Unfortunately it is very permanent, and will hold only a marginally larger tank if I decide to go bigger. :nope: