Anyone with a 220+....would you get this skimmer?

maelv

Originally Posted by SCSInet
I'd be more inclined to purchase an Octopus or Auqa-Euro if you are on a budget.
Not so much that I am on a budget. Just one of those things that I ran across, brand new, cheap for the unit. But I still need to buy a pump for it, and it recommends a mag 12 so total cost will be equal to an ASM or an Octopus.
Just wondering if this unit is any good....
Thanks for the help, as always, guys.
Jon, shoot me a pm on where I can find this, I didn't see it on the octopus skimmer site.
Thanks,
ismael

thangbom

pass up the deal... i seen one of those in person and it's a joke... get something els... if $$$ is not an issue then you have a LOT of choices for skimmers ... octo, das, bk mini, and soo many more...
YzGyz

maelv

Well....I have come to the conclusion based on suggestions here, another forum, and a little research that it isn't the skimmer for me and I told the guy I was going to pass. It is a venturi skimmer also, and difficult to clean (from what someone told me). I owned an ASM G-2 when I had my 135 gallon and liked it very much. I have been actually looking at the G-3, Octopus skimmer NW 200 recirc (I believe it was), and Tunze 9010. All around the $300 - $375 price range which is pretty good for a skimmer.
Really like the Tunze for:
1. Reliability
2. Size (non evasive, will take a small space)
3. Power Consumption
Only thing that worries me is that it is rated for up to 264, and I am not sure how big of a sump/fuge I will have.
And the G-3 is only rated for 250 gallons.
Thanks for all the help.

maelv

Originally Posted by ThaNgBom
pass up the deal... i seen one of those in person and it's a joke... get something els... if $$$ is not an issue then you have a LOT of choices for skimmers ... octo, das, bk mini, and soo many more...
YzGyz
Thanks ThaNgBom....I wouldn't say $$$$ is not an issue....LOL...but when the time comes (hopefully in June) to set this guy up, I will have enough saved away to invest in a better skimmer $350 - $500. I just saw this and saw it was rated for 400 gallons...thought I would ask.
The local reef club actually has one in circulation for members in temporary need...at least that is how I took it. A board member told me I could take it until I upgrade as long as I pass it along to another member. But I am nowhere near that point.

acrylic51

Tunze wouldn't be a skimmer choice of mine for a tank this size.....Octopus skimmers, ATI and a modded ASM would be some of what I'd be considering, but not necessarily in that order.