Anyone with Neon Goby experience?

fishmamma

I just purchased two blue lined neon gobies. One had been chasing the other quite a bit since being added to the tank yesterday so I netted him out and have him in holding. I have tow other tanks I could move him to. I have been trying to research all day and it seems as though two same --- gobies will fight, possibly to the death in a tank. However, this site for instance is selling them in a group of two and I assume they are not sexed. I have read in one article a bit of chasing doesn't usually lead to much but have read numerous places that they are better off in very large groups to sort out the sexing or individually. Anyone had any experience with this? Should I just follow my instict and seperate them even though I really wanted a 'pair'??

drea

mine did that for a little, and still do time to time... they may just be matting..... i would put them both in :cheer:

lion_crazz

If you have two males, the neons will fight to death, usually. It would probably be best just to separate them if they were fighting really bad. Usually, I try to see how they react at the LFS before I take both of them home. If they are together in the LFS tank, they will be together at your tank. That is what I did. At the LFS, my neon gobies were swimming together side-by-side, and I made sure that I got those two, as they already seemed to be paired up. To this day, they are still very happy together.

fishmamma

Awe, they are so cute!! Well I did end up seperating them. IN the LFS they were in the same "section" since they could get through the space under the dividers and were free to raom through quite a bit of space (and were not hanging together). I figured better to be safe than sorry. The one that was being bullied has been swimming out all evening so I think I made the reight decision. :thinking: Thanks for your help lion and drea.