apartments/moving

sleeper

Hey, can I get a show of hands: who lives in an apartment? Are you worried you'll have to move and break down your setup anytime soon? What about those who've had to do it?
The reason being a "marine mentor" of mine is going to hook me up on a 65 gallon setup with a sump, a fuge, all the piping and pumps... for a truly great great price, but frankly I'm a little worried about moving in a year, just as the thing really starts thriving, and having it be a major proble.
What are people's thoughts?

gilligan50

My tank is a 29 but I have moved it a couple of times including once from MI to NY. What I do is split my tank, water and creatures into a couple of different 20 gallon rubbermaid tubs with lids. Then leave just enough water over my live sand to keep it wet and move it all. It is a pain in the butt but it is definitely doable. You will have to make sure that your plumbing can easily be broken down and put back together but you can do it. Also if you are moving long distance you can get a couple of battery operated air pumps, which aren't a bad thing to have just in case of a power outage or somehting like that

puffer32

Right now we are contaplating a major move from Pa to Texas. I am hesitating making the decision largely because of moving my 75 gal and all the work it intales. Seriousy thinking if we do decide to go, selling everything and starting over

bonebrake

If you are 100% sure that you are moving in one year, hold off and wait until you are in a home with some permanency. If you really want a tank, go for a 10 - 29 gallon tank. Anything larger is a serious pain to move.

sleeper

Yeah, I mean, I'm 100% sure I'm moving EVERY year, at least until I own a home.
But this deal, guys.
65 gal 29 gal sump 7 gal fuge, 20 gal grow-out tank on the same system, Euroreef skimmer, all the pumps, MH lighting (minus ballast), beautiful wood stand and hood for both tanks, all the extras like thermostat, plus frags out the a-- as a kick in.... $750!!!
That's like saying, "you can sleep with me now or we can wait til marriage. You decide." I know which is SMART, but I know which one I WANT to do a heck of a lot more... But then there may be something smart about acting on the good buy, despite the trouble of moving...
I dunno.
Any other moving stories out there (mostly within one city)?

mahagan

It really is not to bad to move the tank if you do it right (It is time intensive and costs money to get the right traveling storage buckets). If your getting a really good deal. I would think about getting it.
It sounds like your not really sure if your going to move or not, but since your in an apartment it could happen.
I moved my 46 gallon bow tank about 7 months ago and really did not have that many issues with it after setting it back up.
I pretty much the did it the same way that the guy with the 29 gallon did, but moved the sand into a 10 gallon bucket with water (made it much lighter).
Oh I did not mention this yet, but my tank is a reef tank so I had coral to move as well.
The only problem I had was I lost a single branch of my frogspwn coral, but that was only one out of 10. the rest of the coral, fish and inverts were fine.
When moving make sure you get storage buckets that can be sealed in some way or the water will get every where.