Aptasia Eaters

Okay so my garden of Aptasia doesn't want to go away. I have 3 peppermints in my 125 and they don't seem to help with this on going problem. Is there a fish that will eat these? I hear butterflies are great but will eat my corals so that doesn;t work. I see that alot of people have this problem and I have use Joes Juice, Aptasia X and hot water but they just come back. Is there a butterfly that will work for me? I really hate these things...

jackri

I've heard copperband are the fish of choice for them.. no idea what they might do to corals.
Have you tried a super concentrated shot of kalk water?

funkysean5

I've heard Kliens butterfly will eat aiptasia. Though it might pick at some soft or leather corals. It is not one of the prettiest butterflies, but are very hardy.

tinydove

Is it all over you LR or just a few pieces? If it were just a few pieces of the rock, would it be easier to remove them and gice them a good scrubbing and try handling it out of the tank. Just an idea if it is just on a few pieces. 125 is a big tank and would hate to see you lose anything due to the problem, better to lose a few LRs and recure if you had to. Good luck w/ ur unwated guests, keep us posted as to what u had to do.

I mostly have leather corals and a few soft corals. I plan on increasing my pepermint collection. What I was hoping for a fish that would eat these things. Copperbands have done wonders with Aptasia in my friends tank (fish only) but my fear is with the corals. Has anyone had a butterfly that worked with their corals?

ebob954

I have only a few. They are on a piece of live rock that I can easily get to. I was ust going to throw it away since it isnt that big of a piece but it is a really nice piece. what would be the best way to get rid of them my self with out trying to get any shrimp or fish that eat them. I heard of lemon juice how does this work and how do you apply it. Thanks

ebob954

I have only a few. They are on a piece of live rock that I can easily get to. I was ust going to throw it away since it isnt that big of a piece but it is a really nice piece. what would be the best way to get rid of them my self with out trying to get any shrimp or fish that eat them. I heard of lemon juice how does this work and how do you apply it. Thanks

king_neptune

I have heard from people who do foam rock wall in their tanks:
that they have less than in their tanks with live rock. Check out my 125 build. Its going to have a foam wall in it.

darren0311

there is a stuff called Joes Juice that works on it BUT, you have to use it in very very low doses with a syringe and basically spot feed the Aptaisia, I used it a few times and had alot of Success with it. DONT GET IT ON ANY Corals.
Has anyone else used this besides myself

doc308

I found a large aiptasia and was unable to get to the LFS to get joes juice for several days. I don't know how I missed it this long, but it was at an angle and must have just missed it. Was afraid of it stinging my chalice so I put a good bit of reef putty all over it and stuck a rock on it. That fixed it for now. But joes juice is great stuff.

wilsonreef

A good read is to Google Berghia Nudibranch. These little critters eat nothing but Aiptasia! Unfortunately, once the Aiptasia are gone the Berghia will die out since that is their only food source. The article I read said to continue to grow Aiptasia in another tank at least for them to feed on.