aptasia

goulding.c

How do I get rid of it!! I have used the joes juice which works. But I have to constantly do it ever week and still have it everywhere. Should I get a copper band butterfly fish?? I hate this stuff and it is driving me crazy. I think it is also hurting my corals. Any help would be great. The tank is a 125 stacked with live rock.

CG

pickyone

i have a little aptasia im my 55 gal. idid put in a copperband butterfly and he is pretty much taken care of the problem. i would also recommend a peppermint shrimp also.hope that helps.

goulding.c

I went looking for one today but no lfs's had any. Maybe I will order one. Also. I have heard they do not live long or are very hard to keep. How is your doing? How long have you had him? I have plenty of aptasia for him to eat in my 125. Thanks
CG

reefnut

Be careful buying a Copperband... they can be very tough to get eating. I would wait until a LFS gets one in and you can watch it eat before bringing it home.
I have always had really good luck with peppermint shrimp but if the aptasia gets to big they usually will not touch it.

goulding.c

What about the nudibranch's that eat aptasia? I have seen them around on the web sites. I might try them out first since I here the copperbands are tough to keep. Also do you think my bluejaw trigger will eat them? or damsles tang or gobby, or nemos? They aren't cheap and one rule I have is that my fish do not get more exspensive meals than I do.

CG

dr. evil

i would try the peppermints i had aiptasia i bought 2 peppermints and the took care of them i would stay away from the nudibrachs when i was researching on the web for ways to get rid of those pesky aiptasia i read that nudibranchs are very difficult to care for and they should only be purchased by advanced aquarist dont know if thats true but just thought i'd let you know what i read about them before you spend alot of money on one because i understand they can be a little pricey

goulding.c

I ahve a few peppermints and they don't seem to do anything. Anyway I would think I owuld need a couple hundred of them at the rate they are growing right now. I may try these slugs. I'll let you all know how it works out. I hate to risk a touchy fish that may die.
CG

goulding.c

doug,
My blue jaw trigger has left everything alone except a new snail I dropped in the other day. As it was sinking he made a meal out of it.
CG