Aqua C or Precision Marine?

missile150

I am going to be in the market for a new skimmer for my 220fowlr. I currently have a Proclear 250 venturi model, but am looking to upgrade. Eventually the tank will be full of corals (eventually...) and I do not want to have to purchase another skimmer then. I am leaning toward the Aqua C EV-240. Any thoughts?

al mc

You may also want to consider the MRC (very good..pricey) and ASM (good and reasonable). I have not used the 'bigger' Aqua C's but have been happy with their technology for skimming withe the Remoras that I use on a 32 gallon DT and my QT tank.

stanlalee

Get the bullet 2. AquaC's spray injector technology is not in the same league as a well designed beckett injected skimmers. Not just Precision Marine but MRC or any good beckett skimmer. To top it off they are the same price. The MRC cost a little less ($370 vs $400) and has the option of adding an additional injector as your system grows.

scsinet

Another thing to consider is the Deltec or Euro-Reef recirculating models. I'm looking at a Deltec recirculator for my 180 reef project. Great skimmers... but dang are they expensive.
I love the Beckett models, I just don't like the comparatively massive pump you need to run them. If you have the room for the pump you're in good shape though.
If Beckett is your game, I agree that the MRC is the way to go. If you select the right model you will have an inexpensive upgrade path as you can add heads down the road, and the parts are all pretty standard and modular, so it's very easy to replace components that are worn or dirty beyond reasonable repair... after a few years, you can drop a small sum on a new Beckett foam head for an MRC and have a new skimmer all over again.

missile150

I was looking at the MRC's on the net. I liked them a lot! I am going to look into the ASM as well, though. I want to keep an open mind, but I also do not want to make a huge financial mistake with the skimmer. It will be my last one for quite some time.

missile150

I am having a hard time trying to decide on the MRC MR-2 or the MR-2R. They are two different set ups, with two totally different price tags. I will be hard to convince my wife to spend the extra money. Any opinions on these two models?

joncat24

get the mr-2...you wont be disappointed.
I recently purchased a beckett clone and after getting it all repaired and ordering some new parts, this thing is a beast.
I had a reef devil deluxe and I loved it, but the becketts are a in a league by themselves IMO.
I was pulling around a 1/2 gallon every couple of days with the reef devil and in two days I have 2.5 gallons of the nastiest junk you have ever seen with the mr2 copy out of my 180.

scsinet

IMO the MR-2.
The R model is just a reciculating variant. It's almost exactly the same skimmer except you use a decided pump to close loop the skimmer. It can give you better performance, but keep in mind that the additional price tag of the skimmer is only half of it. You also need two pumps, or a return pump with enough power to "T-off" the return line to feed a skimmer loop. One pump is the recirculating pump, and another pump to push water through the system.
Recirculators are good if you have one very large main pump. For example, I'm looking at a recirc Deltec for my reef project because I am planning an oversized pump (Sequence Dart) as my main drive pump for the whole tank, with a manifold that sends water to my returns, skimmer, fuge, chiller, reactors, etc. This setup does not work to drive a standard Beckett like the MR-2 because the foam head requires quite a bit of pressure to work right. That's where the skimmer's dedicated recirculating pump comes in.
However, if you are already planning on a dedicated pump for the skimmer, just get the plain MR-2 and use a Mag18 or a smallish Iwaki/GenX, etc pump to go on there and you'll be good to go!
BTW, consider using a Mag24 or an Iwaki 70/100 or so and buying the extra foam head for it. It will be a worthwhile upgrade.