Aqua Controller Jr. and Koralia

zik69

Has anyone had any experience with controlling Koralia powerheads with the Aqua Controller Jr. or ReefKeeper 2? They both have the "soft start" feature and I was just wondering if they start up better than with a regular wavemaker. Are thay still noisy? Thanks.

natclanwy

I am using a K4 and a K3 on a the wavemaker function of my Reefkeeper elite. The softstart is overrated doesn't do what you think it does soft start just means rather than throw 120v all at once it ramps up the voltage over a few milliseconds. The noise on these powerheads is caused by the impeller starting in reverse and it shoots out of the pump housing hitting the guard and does this until the impeller starts rotating the correct direction. You can dampen the sound by placing a short piece of airline tubing over the shaft between the impeller and the guard. You have to experiment with the length if it is too short the ph will still clatter and if it is too long the impeller will start in reverse most of the time.

acrylic51

I don't think those PH's were actually designed to run on either of those systems......Just won't take the pounding.....

zik69

Right now I have two Koralias, but I wouldn't mind switching to a different PH. I can't afford to buy the Koralia wavemaker system for $400, but is there a PH that does ok with wavemakers. Are Tunze any better with starting up or are just as noisy? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by zik69
http:///forum/post/2818147
Right now I have two Koralias, but I wouldn't mind switching to a different PH. I can't afford to buy the Koralia wavemaker system for $400, but is there a PH that does ok with wavemakers. Are Tunze any better with starting up or are just as noisy? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Check the Seio Controller. Instead of stopping the pump completely, it slows it to about 30% power and then back up to 100%.

natclanwy

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/2817376
I don't think those PH's were actually designed to run on either of those systems......Just won't take the pounding.....
They aren't designed to run on a controller but can be modified to run on one. The on off cycles don't really bother the motor itself, when these powerheads start in reverse the shape of the impeller acts like a

[hr]
and pulls the magnet out of the motor body until it hits the guard, stopping the rotation of the impeller. Then the magnetic pull, pulls the impeller back into the motor body and restarts the process again until the impeller starts rotating in the correct direction. The clacking you here is the impeller hiting the guard I don't know what the long term effects of this would be probably nothing but a noisy pump. If you add the airline tubing it dampens the sound made by the impeller hitting the guard assembly. Maxijets have a different problem, they have a plastic ridge that stops the impeller from rotating the wrong direction and after repeated pounding on the ridge it will break off.