aqua medic t-5 lights...any good?

dmjordan

i am thinking of upgrading the lights on my 55 gal with t-5's. i found a place that sells a aqua medic fixture with 8 54 watt t-5 bulbs for $340.00. is this a good light (any problems with this brand) or should i just go with one with individual reflectors from a different company? i would like to be able to have a clam (if possible) and some hard corals.

wangotango

i dont know of anyone who has used aquamedic, i dont think its one of the most popular brands, plus i think 8x 54w bulbs is a little much for a 55. i have the aquactinics 5x 54w tx5 fixture on my 55 and it kicks butt. all of my corals are so much more colorful under the T5 than my VHO, and my crocea clam's color is just as intense as it was in the store under halides. clams and sps would be fine under this fixture. imo the top T5 brands are ATI, aquactinics, and tek, in that order.
-Justin

fedukeford

Never gotten lights from aquamedic, but i got a auto topoff from them and its great. Looks like a pretty decent price too.
Feduke

dmjordan

guess i'll keep shopping around. i don't want to spend money on something unless i know it will be a descent item. thanks for the responding.

saltn00b

i dont think aquamedic sells T-5 fisxtures that are individually reflected, ? post up a pic or details