Aqua snot?

shep

I have somthing growing around a few rocks that looks like aqua snot. It has taken over about a 10-12 square inch area. It's not a web type deal like from tube worm. It's actually growing on the rock. To describe it best until I can get a pic of it, stick finger in nose, take that slimy and just randomly smear it on shirt of coraline algae color. Never seen anything like it before. Will try to get a pic of it tomorrow but not sure I my 1942 camera will get it.:confused:

T

thomas712

Does it actually look like a substance growing on the coralline or perhaps like the coralline was scraped?, does the coralline show signs of receading? Does it have a shine to it? Do you use Marc Wiess products?
Thomas

shep

No it's not scraped, and no on the marc wiess. I will take a pic as soon as the lights come on.

T

thomas712

Have you tried to touch it? Is it truly snotty or encrusting, does it recoil if you touch it or wipe off?
Thomas

shep

Its snotty if you touch it and I have whiped it off in a place just to see until I find out what it is. However it comes right back. It's only in one spot though. SHould I go for the kill on it?

If you do not know what it is, and it is not very pretty, and it is growing, I would go ahead and remove it. Take the rock out in a bucket of saltwater and scrub it with a fish-only toothbrush and place it back in your tank.