aquacultured rock

biggdriver

I would like to order about 100lbs of live rock. but would also like some of it to be aquacultured. Anyone here get any from Tampa Bay Saltwater? They have a website and the rock looks like it has lots of growth but all the pieces look uniform and there doesn't seem to be a large variation of sizes and shapes to make the seascape interesting. Anyone else order from them..I also would like to order from here some Fiji rock how is it and how long is the turn around on the order. Can you request a specific day for arrival. I work days and would have to make sure someone is here to recieve it. How does it ship in the colder weather up here in Wisconsin?

striker

You should try to get the fiji from swf.com. They inlude free shipping with the order. I heard that the tampa bay saltwater come with mantis on occasion. You might want to look at gulf-view.com. Their rock is beautiful, cheap overnight shipping with dhl and will ship whatever day you request. Only negative is it's wrapped in newspaper but it wasn't a problem for me.

blondenaso1

I have been looking into both companies Tampa Bay Saltwater and Gulf-veiw. I am from Clearwater, Fl and both of the companies are based out of Tampa, Fl which is not to far from me. TBS has a retail store, but Gul-veiw only does mail-order, which leads me to suspect that they get there LR from the same source. This weekend I was planning on making a trip out to TBS and checking out there facalities. I will also find out where they both get there LR from. I know for sure that TBS had a 5 acre underwater lot in the gulf and one in the keys where they aquaculture. I have also heard that TBS do occasionaly have mantis, but you take that chance with all LR. I'll get back to everyone.

Yes, I purchased 110lbs from them over 2 years ago and it was full of life. I did have 1 mantis shrimp that I caught with a trap in the first couple months, but the quality was great and I would and will buy from them again! Any other questions that you may have from me ...just let me know. mike@paggeot.com

kijak

I just ordered 50 lbs a month ago, and it was fantastic. I have had some die off, as the bag leaked on the flight. But I am very impressed with the life on the rock, and it is in all sorts of shapes and sizes, I asked for a mixture of the boat run and got flat shelf type and rounded irregular shapes, lot of barnicles, invertabrates, corals, sponges etc... Lots of color. I think I may of found a extremely small mantis shrimp, I saw him once and never again, traps aren't working yet, but I have not lost any creatures yet. Also Most of the barnicles have died as well. My over all impression is excellent. I will be buying there again, As for the price Purple rock from fiji, here sells for 8.99/lb and TBsalt rock was 6.00/lb after freight. Still the best buy, by far. IMO you will see more Aquaculter buisness start up.
Jack :cool: