Aquarium backround?

syres1

I got tired of looking at my picture backround and people asking me about the corals in the pic. They always think that i actually have them in my tank, so I just ripped the pic off and painted the back of the glass white. Was this a good thing to do? Just wondering

pyro

If you want it white, than yep, nothing wrong as long as you didn't get it in the tank. :)

oceana

thats what we do however its a very deep deep blue. almost black. looks and worked great

acekjd83

ive painted both of my tanks with high gloss black... it takes a couple of coats, but it seems to help insulate and it looks really cool with bright corals and white sand...

syres1

I painted it a light blue allmost white, i'll apply one more coat and make some pix and post them here tomorrow. I can see everything in the backround better. Really cool

A

andretti

IMO, gloss black is the way to go. (make sure it's water-based paint) the alkyds in oil-based paint could leach in through the silicone and/or glass. First of all, it hides most in tank equipment like powerheads, overflow boxes, intake and outlet tubes, etc. Plus, it also sets off all of the tank's inhabitants because it contrasts W/almost everything. Originally, I painted my 125 reef a blue sea color, and though it looked very "aqua," a lot of the tank's fish blended in W/the background like my blue tang, damsel, and bi-color angel. Again this is just my opinion.

bailey52

I have done neither, but being in the art field, i can see how the black is bold, it will define the 3-d space and give depth which allows you to focus on everythin in the tank

T

thomas712

Oceanvisions. I can change mine to any color they make. Just peal it back off and change it. Goes on with soap and water, slide a credit card around to get the bubbles out. No problems with algea magnets.
But if you want to paint it thats fine too.

bailey52

hey thomas do you have pics of your light set up, or your tank in general? would love to see how you hooked it up

acekjd83

i used latex high-gloss black... it took several coats to stop light shining through, but now it is like a black mirror, gives depth without detracting from the inhabitants. As a side benefit, the absorption of light seems to reduce algae growth on the back wall... an excellent point in my book.:happy: