Aquarium Glass Cleaner

brendac

:help:
I would like to know what is a good aquarium glass cleaner?? My 125g sits back almost against a wall and on the outside of the glass against the wall is like a dirty film covering some of the glass... I think its from salt when we filled it up. I can get a long wooden ruler bettween the wall and back glass and I rigged up a cloth to place over the ruler to try and get it off(It comes off but vey hard. What can I use on that cloth??

debbie

I would not use any cleaner for the glass. I use just plain water and a dry cloth to clean my glass. If there is a film on there you might want to try a bit of dish soap and water on a cloth and then clean it again with just plain water and dry with a soft cloth. Make sure you don't get that cloth with soap on anything that can get back into your tank (filters) etc.
Using any type of glass cleaning sprays is taking a risk even if you put it onto a cloth then clean the glass. Most cleaners contain ammonia and other stuff.

N

nereef

glass plus is non-toxic and doesn't contain ammonia. its basically surfactants (soaps) and water.

gsd

ANything applied outside the tank is not going to get inside if its done properly, and if it has ammonia or no ammonia i it its not going to make a difference. Spray some glass cleaner on paper towel, and then wipe tank down...or just use a cloth or paper towel which is dampened with regular odl water. Glass is nonpourous and if the cloth is wet with the product used for clenaing and then wiped on the glass its not going to get inside the tank.

merredeth

I use four tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with water in spray bottle. You need to shake the spray bottle before you use it as the cornstarch does settle at the bottom when not being used.
I have the cleanest windows, mirrors and tanks around. With over 30 windows in my house I got sick of buying Windex and a lady at a store told me about this trick her grandmother did.
I've been using it for years with good results.
If I have run out of cornstarch, I will also use white viengar with water. About 1/2 cup of vinegar in the spray bottle works well (not as good as cornstarch though).
Denise M.