Aquarium Pharm. Tap Water Filter owners . . .

nasotang00

I just purchased the aquarium pharm. tapwater filter and was curious if it really removes COPPER. Also, can I directly connect this unit from a brass valve on a copper pipe. It states that it makes "perfect deionized water" that is good for use for water top off and changes. I know it is not a ro/di unit but does it work ok? I really don't want to have to connect it to my kitchen faucet and would rather connect it from my pipe as stated above. Can I??
Thanks all

As for the operation of the Tap Water Filter by Aquarium Pharmiceuticals, I am not sure. I have used this system in the past, befor my RO/DI purchase, but only for freshwater applications. I'm not sure about the copper removal either. Sorry.
As for the installation question. You should be fine hooking that system up to a saddle valve or whatever pipe fittings you are going to use. Just make sure you have a shut off before the filter, and not after, wether you intend to leave it hooked up continously or not. Without the shut off, you will have a continuosly running unit, and with the shut off after the filter, it is likely to not hold up to the water pressure, and explode. This would be a disaster!HTH

dburr

I have never checked for copper, but I have a reef and I have no ill effects in my tank. I do know I have a high iron count.
It's saya it removes copper, I guess I took it for granted if it really did.:eek: Maybe someone has checked on the board.

sal t. nutz

A DI filter is the best you can get, other than Distillation with glass equipment. We all use RO/DI because when water has been through a 5 stage RO filter, the DI doesn't have to do much and therefore, it lasts much longer (and because I use RO water for drinking). A good DI filter is really all you need, just without RO, it won't last as long. As to the quality of that brand of DI, I have no idea.

xrayman

I have used that particular unit now for 5 months and i have had wonderful results.I have it hooked up to sink in bathroom i have had no ill efftects from it hope this helps.

javajoe

I had this filter- we got rid of it right away, as we live in a city, and it could not get all the phosphates out. city water generally has a very high phosphate level, as municipal water authorities add them to prevent your body fropm absorbing heavy metals. after one water change, a big algae outbreak, i tested the water coming out of it, and it was quite high still in phosphates.
if you have well water, you are probably fine with phosphates. i cannot speak for copper- never tested that with it.

rknapp

I have the filter your talking about too. I have a well and my well water has some phosphates in it, it takes most out. I've used it for about 18 months. I don't know if it takes copper out though, but as far as copper piping goes, I don't think it will matter because I have copper pipes too and so do almost all houses.
I only use it in the winter though, when my dehumidifier isn't running. I've found I have absolutely perfect water for free from the dehumidifier to use in my tank! If you use one in your basement test the water from it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

javajoe

I would test the water from your dehumidifier for copper. i was planning on trying that, but our water tests high for copper - out condensor coisl are made out of copper.