Aquarium Seam Blowout

volitan

My LFS told me that eventually every tank will blow a seam. Has anyone had this happen to them before? Sounds like my worst freakin nightmare!

cboyfan2020

there are people who have had the same tank for 20yrs and never blown a seam. I dont think this would happen unless it was shotty workmanship or undue strees was put on the seam like tank not being level or too thin of a glass plate.

wolffam

Using a tank not designed for saltwater use can sometimes do this under the weight of the rocks in the tank. These tanks use a thinner glass based on holding water and substrate, not LR. I think the glass is thinner. I have an Oceanic 55 gal and my daughter bought a 55 gal from Wal-Mart (using for freshwater) and the glass appears thinner and the overall tank weighed less than mine. HTH.

S

sebae0

still have a 135gal for the last 17 yrs no problems yet, knock on wood. it also has been fw then sw still no problems

I had a 125 blow out a seam BIG time last december. My wife just heard a POP then the sound of alot of water hitting the floor(I was out of town). Lost all my triggers:( . The front glass seem broke loose on one corner. When it went it tore the whole front glass off. This tank was OLD !! it had been moved who knows how many times and before I got it it had been dry for over a year. My own fault for not resealing it then.
But what do you do with a 125 with no front glass ? I built a box around the remaining sides and made a front open snake enclosure out of it. LOL it housed the last of my big snakes till I sold her and the guy bought the enclosesure with her. LOL worked out pretty good in the end. But I dont want to go through it again. what a mess.

S

sebae0

yeah, the worst thing you can do is let a tank sit dry. the seams dry out and when pressure from water being added hits it they will blow. i seen this happen to friend with a 40 gal tall.