aquarium service

We just set up a week ago, a 90 gallon corner reef tank.
100 pounds of fiji rock
ETSS protein skimmer
2 MH ushio 10000k bulbs
2 bubble corals
leather coral
cup coral
mandarin gobie
5 star fish
different types of mushrooms
We are hiring people to service this tank. When should we have our first service, and after that how often do we need it serviced?

katara

I know this is not an answer to your question..but...
your mandarin will starve to death...it needs to be in a very mature tank w/ lots of pods which is the only thing it will survive on.Unless you are one of the very few who can get it to eat live brine which you must purchase every few days and supplement w/ Zoe/Zoecon to boost its nutritional value.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I thought you should know.

jlem

Did the people you are hiring setup the tank for you? The reason why I ask is because if the tank was part of a bigger reef that was well matured then you may not have any problems and if the manderin was from an established tank and was eating unatural fare then the manderin as well should be fine. Now if this tank was put together from a bunch of different sources then I would agree about the manderin. You should post as much info as you can about the setup and sources so we can give you the right advice.

I should have explained myself better. The tank I am talking about was just tranferred over from another 90 gallon corner. (we have two) we used to have in addition to the rock, corals and Mandarin about 5 other fish and a snowflake eel. So this tank I am talking about was transferred over with new live sand and the old sand from the other tank fresh ro water all the other fish and eel went into a 180 fish only. We now have several tanks and really want to get the 2 reef tanks serviced. Trying to find out when to start the service (1st water change and how often they should come out.) Thanks

poiboy

(20%) a month or 5% a week so on and so on. Some change 20% every two months. I'm in the 20% a month range, when i'm not lazy.

entice59

you could do weekly water changes 10% every week or 15% every two weeks, but ive been TOO lazy.
you could just do the water changes yourself, it really only takes a few minutes unless you plan to clean parts. If you still want people to service your tank... im looking for a job :p but i bet you dont even live in sf

tangman99

I do my own service but my lfs does service for people in our area. Most use them on a monthly basis to come out and do the water change and cleaning.