Aquariums breaking

spyderreef

I am setting up my 120 on a stand I built myself. On filling it for the first time I found that I could slip a business card underneath 6 inches in the back. What are the chances that this will cause my aquarium to crack or break? I would like to hear from anyone that has had an aquarium break because of a stand. Do most aquariums sit level and perfectly flat? (I am now draining my tank to try and fix the problem)

demosthenes

I would like to help, but the actual chances of any problem and how large of one would have to be determined by one of the many (insert type) engineers on this site. I would ask around in the Equipment and DIY forum, they tend to be more geared to this question.

michaeltx

I would dare to say that the tank needs to be level all the way around. I wouldnt chance the stress that would be on the tank and can cause breakage.
Mike

jbfastlane

Being new to saltwater I read many forums and YES - you need to make sure your stand is level - I have seen posts from people whose aquariums developed cracks and worse.
Remember the weight of the water is like 3lbs per gallon and exerts alot of pressure.
My opinion.

G

glazer

I would tap a small shim or two under the base (at the floor I mean) until you close this tiny gap up... take a level and check front to back and of course side to side at the top of the tank.
The tank should be supported all the way around the bottom. There is no such thing as a level floor in a house... some far better than others no doubt but it just don't happen!. Couple that with the fact, no matter what your expertise level the "perfect stand" is an extreme rariety.