Aquascaping Help?

cedarreef

I'm looking to turn my current FO setup into a reef very soon. I've yet to buy any LR, but that's going to be very soon. I was just wondering how all of you aquascaped your reefs. By that I mean how did you get everything to stay in place with grazing tangs, bulldozer snails, and other forces of nature?
I know there are some specialized fish tank epoxies or glues, but those are a bit expensive for as much rock I plan to use. I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank, and I would probably get 50-55 lbs. of LR. Some advice would be great. Thanks!!!

newbfish

Some people drill a hole from the top to the bottom of the rock work and stick a pole down all of them like a pvc. Or just mess around with the rock so that it doesn't budge when messed with.

cedarreef

Originally Posted by fishkid13
http:///forum/post/2698803
I dont understand what you mean do you want to see different aquascapes or how to make them?

I want to know how you guys keep them together. Whether it be glues, ties, balance... I would love to see some different styles if you're up to sharing some pics

bill109

just a piece of advice.. when u put it together leave some room from both sides and front and back so you can get a magnet scraper around the glass without hiitting rock.

mr_x

i drilled my rock and slid it over acrylic rods.
here are some pics.....
drilling rock.....

125 with newly made rock towers...

125 grown in....

transferred to 195 gallon 5' tank and some rock added....

cedarreef

wow, thanks for the great pics X! I would probably be aiming more towards caves and swim through spaces in a loose U-curve. I'll try the drilling technique for towers, thanks!

hambone

X, that tank is beautiful dude. I would love to have mine look that great someday. Thanks for sharing. I think I'll try some towers as well. I've been trying to stack and balance, but my goby and I have different "architectural tastes" apparently.

mr_x

Originally Posted by CedarReef
http:///forum/post/2699062
wow, thanks for the great pics X! I would probably be aiming more towards caves and swim through spaces in a loose U-curve. I'll try the drilling technique for towers, thanks!
it's hard to see, but the fish swim in and out of that rockwork easily. alot of holes here and there, and caves....
meanwhile, the guy who i got the idea for this from is sanjay yoshi. i don't know if he's familiar to you, but he does alot of studies on lighting for us. long story short, he used "thorite" to bond the rock together along with the rods. if you'd like a link to his build thread, i can give it to you in a pm i guess(it's on a different forum).