Aquestion for NM Reef, or anybody else that has a tomato clown with no anemone!

saltyrich

I've got a tomato clown and no anemone. I don't really want an anemone. He was my first fish about a year ago. I, like so many others, got him and an anemone together. Well, as you can guess, the anemone was killed a long time ago by me and my inexperience. I believe I could keep one successfully at this point, whatever that means, but I don't really want to. My tank is mature and healthy. I thought about removing my tomato, but I just can't seem to catch him. He is becoming attatched to a fox coral that I simply do not want him getting into (I'm afraid he'll damage it). There are access holes in the live rock structure on both sides of the fox that the tomato hides. I'm thinking of blocking those holes of completely and providing the tomato with something else that he can get into. Any suggestions on what to do? I've heard about hairy mushrooms. I've also heard about frogspawn, but I really don't want anymore aggresive corals. Anybody? NM Reef, what does Tommy like?

j21kickster

Only remove it if it is causing damage. Most likley he wont but soft corals grow pretty quich so it it rips or tears it will heal. If you want to remove it you can feed the fish, when he is eating use a fairly large net and scoop him out. Ive had good luck w/ this method except u usually only get 1 shot per feeding. About net catching fish, i know their are mixed feelings. Yes it will cause some stress but with a realitively small fish who has been a tank for a long time and is healthy, you shouldnt have a problem

alf3482

I guess I completly missed what you were asking. More than likely the clown will not damage the fox. but the fox may not like this. but corals will usually get use to it,with the exception of goniopora. Adding another coral for it may not help. So if you don't like the fact of where he is hosting removal my be your only recourse.

saltyrich

It's strange. The fox allows it, but won't completelyopen or close up. But he is open almost all the way, when the clown is in him. The clown has tried almost all of the corals out. He really liked the green star polyps, but gave up quickly because every time he would get in them they would immediately hate it and close up. He even tries hiding between the skeletal stalks of my trumpet coral, but that does not satisfy him. He's never given the bubble coral a try. He likes the fox coral because it appears fleshy like an anemone I guess. He has not gotten too rough with it yet, but I don't want it to get to that point.

royce

Saltyrich,
I have had a tomato clown for close to 3 years; first in a FO tank and now in my FOWLR. Since he never had an anenome in my first tank, he has never tried to cozy up to any of the few corals in my new tank, including a big fuzzy mushroom or a large ricordia. He just swims around getting bigger and bigger, looking very happy. HTH

i really dont want ur clown inside corals because the tomato will irritate them causing them to close and sometimes die

nm reef

Believe it or not but Tommy the landscaping tomato clown has adopted my gonipora as its favorite spot to be....been that way for over 6 months now without any problems. I would suggest you closely watch for damage to your corals if your clown pairs up with one...and If you need to remove him do so...but if he causes no damage...well ya gotta love them clowns and their hosts!!!
Serious....mine loves its gonipora....go figure!!!!:cool:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You could add anthelia to the tank. My tomato loves it and the anthelia suffers no ill-effects from clownfish companionship...in fact it is thriving.

My tomato clown is the tank terrorist. He is about 4" and moves everything arround in the tank. He can carry rocks bigger than he is. I am convinced he likes having a headache...he will butt rocks with his head until they tumble. He plays catch with my seamat polyps in the afternoon, has them scattered all over the tank at this point. I would get rid of him...but.....I enjoy watching his antics. The tank would not be nearly as entertaining without him.

j21kickster

Originally posted by joe's reefer
i really dont want ur clown inside corals because the tomato will irritate them causing them to close and sometimes die

i hope that was a mis-typing b/c if not it makes you sound like an (@$$hole) who are you to say what you want HIS clown doing??? in my exp if a clown goes to a coral and it closes everytime it usually looses intrest.