Aragonite DSB question

craig110768

I' thinking of moving over to a 4" DSB. I have read a lot on this on the message board saying use Home depot southdown sand.
I currently have about 2" Aragonite bed (not sure if that is cc or sand or what). Could I just add more of this kind of substrate to bring it up to 4".
Is Aragonite just another name for CC. People have mentioned that you don't have to vaccum a DSB, but you do with CC. So what is Aragonite - sand or CC. I'm just a little confused here, in whether I need to remove all what I have and replace it with something different.
Could some please explain this to me.
Thanks

slick

Well most of the time cc is in fairly large pieces. As where ls is small like "sand" Kinda hard to tell what you have based on the explanation. As far as adding to your bed as is. It depends if its sand you can add on top. If it's cc you need to remove it and go with just sand.

craig110768

I did a little more reading. As Aragonite desolves over time, it may compromise it.
"The organisms do not care about the sediment mineral composition, only the particle sizes and shapes. Most aquarists use the commonly available aragonitic sands to "provide a calcium reservoir." Additionally their bright white color is often aesthetically pleasing. However, if the system's pH and calcium concentrations get low enough to dissolve significant amounts of the sediment there are some very severe problems and all the sand in the world won't help." - www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment
No I think I have a course Aragonite sand, not like on a sandy beach. I guess that would all have to be removed.
any comments
craig