are 2 250 MH lights enough ?

mvogel2

I was planning on getting three 250w MH lights over my 125 long (6ft) tank...one / 2 foot like they suggest.... i'm starting to think that if i have 2 it would be enough. I could put clams in the middle under the most intense parts and still have the sides of my aquarium for my lower light things. I figured with 2 my expenses go down...less replacing bulbs, less electricity bill, and less heat.
Could i keep clams this way?
thanks
matt

mvogel2

cool, thanks everyone.
I think i'm just going to get 2 and space them 3 ft apart... i'll add some blue filler light as well.

wrassecal

I'm thinking about doing the same thing in my 135. I have 48" 440 watts vho and then on inside and outside I have 72" vho actinic. I want to keep some of my softies in that tank, so when I set the 55 back up in the bedroom I was going to take the 48's and put them on there and 2 mh's on the 135 leaving the ends for some of my softies. If you do this setup soon I'd like to see pics, get an idea of the look. I'm already used to darker ends because of the way I'm set up now. Will some of the mh spread out beyond the 2 ft limit?

gatorcsm

I have a 125 with 2 400w MH on either end with 2 vho going the whole length. Definitely needs more evening out in the middle. I would go with three bulbs. The 20k radiums offer excellent color in my opinion. I don't think they are too blue whatsoever. It makes vho (50/50 split of aquasun and actinic) look like a dark purple shade next to it.