Are corals like fish?

thumpco

You know how you should only add 1-2 fish 1 or 2 weeks apart? Well can you get like 4 or 5 corals? Or will it overload like a fish would?

geoj

If you have to feed it then I would only add one at a time. Feeding adds more waste that need bio-filter to grow to meet.
I would also QT the corals to look for pests.

reefkprz

I have added a dozen of more corals at once with no problems. its not really like fish in fact most corals are either filter or organismal feeders (there is no such thing a a completely photosynthetic coral, the closest would be xenia) so being that they feed on stuff prevalent in your tank water they actually help filter in a manner of speaking.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkprZ http:///t/389955/are-corals-like-fish#post_3450355
I have added a dozen of more corals at once with no problems. its not really like fish in fact most corals are either filter or organismal feeders (there is no such thing a a completely photosynthetic coral, the closest would be xenia) so being that they feed on stuff prevalent in your tank water they actually help filter in a manner of speaking.
+1 I liked being able to purchase so much at once, and save some money...later on when you can only add a piece here and there it gets expensive to purchase coral.
A few words to help...

• Place the coral where it should go and leave it alone, too much handling keeps it from blooming..give it 4 to 5 days to start peeking out.

• Don't glue down the coral until your sure it will be happy there permanently.
    Always leave room for growth, and be careful to let corals with stinging strings like bubble coral to be downstream of any neighbors.
    Make sure a coral can handle being dipped...I murdered a brain coral .....they are a no.

thumpco

Glue down? Also, when adding the new coral do you leave the lights off for 4 hrs like with fish or get the light on soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/389955/are-corals-like-fish#post_3450370
+1 I liked being able to purchase so much at once, and save some money...later on when you can only add a piece here and there it gets expensive to purchase coral.
A few words to help...

• Place the coral where it should go and leave it alone, too much handling keeps it from blooming..give it 4 to 5 days to start peeking out.

• Don't glue down the coral until your sure it will be happy there permanently.
    Always leave room for growth, and be careful to let corals with stinging strings like bubble coral to be downstream of any neighbors.
    Make sure a coral can handle being dipped...I murdered a brain coral .....they are a no.

florida joe

IMO before you go out and buy multiple corals you need to research their aggressiveness as well as lighting requirements. You need to be sure you have the space retirements as well as area of lighting requirements for each coral

thumpco

All right thanks, I have been researching for a while now. Could someone please tell me what glue down a coral means/is?

gojosie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpco http:///t/389955/are-corals-like-fish#post_3450511
All right thanks, I have been researching for a while now. Could someone please tell me what glue down a coral means/is?
it means when you glue (superglue) a coral or the plug its on to a rock. usually the spot that you want it. thats so i wont fall off or be knocked off by fish or other critters.