Are damsel's too small for this ...

jim672

NYWaters,
If you have live rock in your tank that's all you need to start your cycle. If no lr, use a couple raw cocktail shrimp to begin the cycle. It will likely save the life of some damsels.......
Jim

mammafish

I used blue damsel's to cycle my tank. But, after the cycle was complete and I add more fish the damsels got too aggressive. So, I ended up taking the back to my LSF who gladly took them back. Thank goodness.

john f

Why use fish at all?
You can cycle by simply adding some dry food and using Turbo-start saltwater by Fritz.
If you add the turbo-start every other day you will be cycled in 2 weeks.
John

pancho

i use black mollies they are a little cheaper than damsel's. One of the few fishes that can live in salt and fresh water.

wolfeel

NEVER use live animals to cycle a tank. Live rock will work or you can add live bacteria then feed your bacteria ammonia chloride to get it going. Fritzyme bacteria is excellent and you can get ammonia chloride from Aquatic Ecosystems! Live animal sacrifices is old school aquarium keeping! Save the damsels!
:) wolfie

S

sinner's girl

*Sorry...missed the part where the first guy said to do what I just said.

jsolomon

The most humane and economical way of cycling a tank is with a few pieces of raw shrimp from the grocery store. Toss them in the tank and then test the tank occasionaly.

I cycled my 125 with damsels. I kept all but 3. I'm down to 1 after I lost 2 after a battle with ich, and he's a blue one. He's not aggressive at all.

fshhub

i would only use lr/ls or raw shrimp, no animals, and DEFINITELY NO BOTTLED PRODUCTS, IMO, they anr not worht the money spent on them and do not do enough of what they claim, and they definitely do not speed the cycle enough to give them honorable mention, i had more problems with these products, and i cycled our 75 in 2 and a half weeks without it, AND had alot less problems with stability
HTH and good luck