are flouders hardy

grant white

i have a 55 gallon fish only tank with two damels and flame angelfish and wrasse and flouder are flouders hardy and what they eat and can they be keep in a 55

musipilot

Flounders are very hardy...but your tank will be a little small for him after a few years. The zebra flounder grows to about 12", the peacock can go up to 16". They should be added to a well established tank, and NEED sand on the bottom, not coral substrate. The flounders I have eat freeze dried krill, and clam. They love to be fed directly, with a stick, you just wiggle the food in front of them and they'll snap it right up. Be careful with any smaller fish, if they get at them, they're dinner. They also come up on the glass sometimes which is really wild. I tease my son that they're displaying their filets for me to see if they're ready :)

lnarobbins

I think the flounder will get to big for your tank and might eat your smaller fish if they get to close. also don't they hide in the sand and seldom come out
JMO
Alan

adam4481

dont know if they are hardy but do know they taste very well...eating one right now that dad caught today....yum yum :D

S

sinner's girl

yummmy! don't think i could keep one, i'd always want to eat it...great fish... that reminds me, need to tell dad to go fishing so i can eat more fish....
ummm...is it wrong to eat some fish but keep others as pets?

musipilot

Thats a funny question Sinner's girl, one I've asked myself a lot! I love keeping 'food' fish in my aquariums, like flounders, snappers, and tiger shrimp. Its weird in a way, but I have no problem with it. I tease my son we feed the flounder garlic, lemon and pepper to season him from the inside :)