Are my Clownfish Pairing or fighting?

PoppyD88

I recently bought a Wyoming White Clown and what seems to be a Black Ocellaris. The Black is about 1” and the Wyoming white is maybe 2”-3”, the white is much larger and keeps on attacking the little black clown. So my guess is that the white is trying to dominate for pairing. I’m not sure if it’s getting too rough. It’s been 3days of being together. The black clown isnt fighting back but isn’t hiding either. The black clown has been glass surfing and anxiously swimming. I also have a scary video of the white biting and dragging the black clown for a bit. The black clown was squirming. They both came from the same LPS but were in separate tanks. Should I separate them? Is there chunks missing out of the little black clownfish? I’m worried.

Attachments

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a QT tank, I would move the Wyoming into that system for a week. Then reintroduce to the main tank and immediately cover the tank with a blanket for 24 hours. That should firstly allow for the BOC to recover and establish a territory, secondly disrupting the dormancy of the white. That's what I would do.

PoppyD88

If you have a QT tank, I would move the Wyoming into that system for a week. Then reintroduce to the main tank and immediately cover the tank with a blanket for 24 hours. That should firstly allow for the BOC to recover and establish a territory, secondly disrupting the dormancy of the white. That's what I would do.
Thank you, my QT hasnt fully cycled yet, would i be able to get a breeder box and put one of the fish in there for a bit, or is that not okay

Finding_Nem

Even with blackout clownfish remembers the other clown. It will continue to be aggressive. Take the aggressive one and swap and try again.

they both may be females at this point...with the Snowflake being notably larger then the black/white. They may not settle this before the black/white get sick or injured :( Keep a close eye on them and be prepared to separate.

Kodi nox