Are My Snails Alive

disaster

I have just received 10 Nassarius Snails yesterday from SWF.com. 2 seem to be moving and 8 are not. How do you tell if they arrived DOA. Is this normal for them not to move for 2 days.
Thanks

mopar9012

im going to say no. I have heard of snails moving during the day then at night they go back to the very same spot.

nictavius

I just got 20 from SWF.com the other week and they all died.....I would say they are probably dead....you can take them out and smell um....if you wanna know for sure....but be ready for a surprise if they are dead....haha

gmidd

Not good since I was planning on getting some from this site. None of my local LFS carry Nassarius Snails. I may just have to drive out to Naperville, IL to get some

disaster

Should my percula clowns be eating. Two days in the tank. They seem fine but not eating yet. Tried shrimp and flake food

stanlalee

when nassarius snails smell food they move. at night they move. it is not uncommon for them not to move initially but in two days they should be moving.

N

nemette

I ordered 10 snails from SWF.com also and also, only 2 outta the 10 made it!! Take them out and first touch them and see if it at all moves... Then if not smell it. If it is dead, there will be a horrible smell!!!
We also ordered 10 hermit crabs from SWF.com and they were DOA also! Why??? We think that it was because they were shipped in NO water! Not 100% positive but thats just our thought! Maybe it would be a good idea to try shipping them in water and some without and see which ones make it! Just a thought. Sad to see anything die!!! Good luck with the smelling!! LOL... Have a nice day!!!

N

nemette

Hey disater...
Try feeding your clowns Emerald Entree. Our clowns love it!! Thats their favorite by far, has everything you could imagine in it!! Good luck with them!

cam78

Well? Were they dead? I would like to know being so far the word on SWF is "don't buy snails from them." Fill us in on this please.

bigarn

Originally Posted by disaster
I have just received 10 Nassarius Snails yesterday from SWF.com. 2 seem to be moving and 8 are not. How do you tell if they arrived DOA. Is this normal for them not to move for 2 days.
Thanks
Nassarius snails should have buried themselves in the sand by now... that is if you have sand substrate. Pick one up and smell it ... you'll know if it's dead.