Are RO unit filters standard size?

A friend gave me this unit for free. There is no instruction manual, and I can't find any info online. I've used it for most of this year, but want to change the filters so I can stay on top of the maintenance.
I've found info how to change them online, but didn't know if the filter sizes were universal. I will probably order from Marine depot. Also, do you have to have the wrench to remove those canisters? I don't have one. Didn't know if I needed to get one online too.

btldreef

They're basically universal. I order mine from Air Water Ice most of the time. The wrench is good to have so that you are less likely to crack anything, but it's not necessary. I would recommend it though.

snakeblitz33

I concur with BTLDreef. I have done a lot of business with that company in the past. Their filter packs are pretty decently priced and I always get it faster in the mail then expected. Also, Steve at Air Water Ice is a great person to talk to for any of your questions about filters.
As a side note, if your friend hasn't been pushing water through that RO membrane for a little while, the membrane has more than likely dried out - and needs to be replaced as well.
For the regular carbon filters and micron filters, HD carries some pretty good standard fittings. For the DI cartridges and the RO membrane, more than likely you will have to go online to find something.
Good luck and keep us posted.

I've actually been using this unit since the middle of December. So I am sure that I am long over due for a filter change. I'm going to do them all at once so I know when it was done, and I can keep up with the maintenance on them. In the future I will change them on schedule though.
I purchased the saltwater tank from my friends, and they just threw the unit in last minute, no extra charge. So that really helped me out.

snakeblitz33

Yeah man, that's awesome. I have bought a lot of used tanks in my day, and in general, people that are selling off their systems do throw in a lot of extra junk just so that they can get rid of it. One man's trash is another mans treasure, so they say.
Two investments that I would look into on any RO/DI unit is an in-line pressure gauge to make sure your unit is getting the right PSI and the other is an in-line TDS meter - so you know what your TDS is at all times. Too many times in the past have I been using water out of an RO unit that was not clean. I made that mistake with my 75g and I ended up taking it down because of a dinoflagellate problem.
In any case, I'm glad that it worked everything out.

I ordered from where y'all suggested. The shipping was a little high, but I spent $50, so I got a free TDS meter. It basically equals out to me getting free shipping and paying $1.50 for the TDS meter. I went with the chloramine filter pack. I looked on my local water report, and it looked like they use chloramine to disinfect the water. So hopefully that will help. I wasn't sure if I needed to buy a new membrane. I didn't realize that was a separate part of the 3 filters, until just now. I figure I can try these filters, use the TDS meter, and see where I'm at.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattytwobyfour http:///t/396229/are-ro-unit-filters-standard-size#post_3529826
I ordered from where y'all suggested. The shipping was a little high, but I spent $50, so I got a free TDS meter. It basically equals out to me getting free shipping and paying $1.50 for the TDS meter. I went with the chloramine filter pack. I looked on my local water report, and it looked like they use chloramine to disinfect the water. So hopefully that will help. I wasn't sure if I needed to buy a new membrane. I didn't realize that was a separate part of the 3 filters, until just now. I figure I can try these filters, use the TDS meter, and see where I'm at.
Definitely see how the TDS reads and go from there. Sometimes the membrane will last longer than the rest of the filters.

I got my shipment in today. I kind of panicked when I opened it. The filters looked much smaller than the older filters in my ro unit. But when I opened the ro unit up, the filters were both the same size. In my panic, I forget to measure my old ro water before switching the filters, but here is what they looked like:

So I think it was time to change them!
The readings after changing my ro filters are 003ppm. My tap water is showing 139ppm. I'm thinking that changing the filters was enough for now. I'll keep monitoring it, but I don't think that I need to buy a new membrane yet.