Are there anyother tangs that......

fedukeford

school besides yellows, i really want a school of tangs for my 125 once its older, but the yellows are too common, i was thinking atlantic blue but have heard they are heard to keep, so anyothers that school?

bang guy

Convict Tanks.
Unfortunately, I don't think a 125 is big enough for a school of Tangs. Just my opinion.

fedukeford

then if its not big enough for a school, what 2 tangs do you think would look nice and be compatible in a 125 reef?? (maninly softies and LPS if it matters)

fedukeford

or anyother larger schooling fish? i was thinking about some anthias, but dont have the time to feed them 3-4 times a day

bang guy

Originally Posted by fedukeford
or anyother larger schooling fish? i was thinking about some anthias, but dont have the time to feed them 3-4 times a day
Your tank is sized well for Anthias.
Lyretails (False Anthias) can do well being fed just once a day. I think they look very nice ---> Squamipinnis
Get 5 - 8 females and then you can watch one change to the male colors.
I don't suggest 2 tanks in a 6 foot tank. If I had to recommend a couple it would be a Kole and a Hippo.

fedukeford

i dont think my parents will be too happy when i tell them i want to get a 5-8 $40 fish... will a school of 3 work, or does it have to be a bigger school?

stanlalee

they prefer several females to one male. three will probably just end up fighting. maybe one male to three female would work.

N

nereef

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Convict Tanks.
Unfortunately, I don't think a 125 is big enough for a school of Tangs. Just my opinion.
hey bang, do you have any experience with keeping convicts solo? if so, how well do they do alone.

a&a2

Hey Bang Guy! You're popular today
What about a hippo and a yellow tang for his 125 gallon?

fedukeford

i was thinking about doing a hippo, but i dont want to start out with too hard of a tang, what i think ill do is add a kole in a few months, then if the kole does well for a while add a hippo

a&a2

I don't know much about kole tangs, but I do know the hippos are very shy. I would say add it first so it could settle in. But then again---don't know a whole lot about koles. Maybe someone more experienced w/tangs can chime in :happyfish

bang guy

Originally Posted by fedukeford
is it possible to just have 1, or do they do better in a school?
1 will do just fine. I was just giving you options for a school.
Look up blue eyed Cardinalfish, that's another option.

auntkaren

You don't want to put 2 of the same types of tangs in the tank. There are 4 types that I have found info on; Acanthurus, Zebrasoma, Ctenochaetus, Nsao. Look at their scientific names and put one of each type and you should not have too much trouble. You might also put them all in at the same time so they can find their own territories and not battle for space.
We are getting a Hippo, Yellow and Red Sea Sailfin. The yellow and sailfin are zebrasomas but their coloring is nowhere near alike so we are hoping that the yellow doesn't become too aggressive.
Try to keep the type, color and shape different among your tangs and you should have some success. Remember to look at how large they get as adults. Enjoy!