are they dead or just sucked in real far?

daniel27407

Ok im new to corals... I have a 180 tank and i just added a mh to it so i decided to get a couple more expensive corals. I picked up a frog spawn and a hamer coral with bright green stalks and purple tips... They have done very well for the past week and realy bloomed out about twice the size of what they were at the lfs. Last night i saw them realy shrunk up i figured it was just because the lights had gone out for the night. This moarning when i got up i checked them and they were sucked in even further now the frog spawn i cant see any of the green just the skeleton.
The only thing ive done since i added them was friday night add a powder blue tang and a blue linkia starfish both are reef safe from what i read and what the lfs says. Any one have any idea whats going on. I realy hope I havnt lost 100$ in coral in a week.

fisherson

not sure if it's the same as you but i had a torch coral that was healthy for about 8 months. Came home from work one day and it was melted gone...some sludge was in a few heads but the others were skeletons....no idea why it happened and everything else was healthy

sac10918

What are your water parameters? My frogspawn is doing the same thing. It was soo healthy for many weeks, then began retracting for no apparent reason except my nitrates were 20. People suggested that I get those down so I did, and the frogspawn has come out a bit more but still doesnt look great.

daniel27407

looks like its the powder blue tang i got friday came home tonight hes niping at a coral skeleton and ive got a shreded linkia stuck to my glass

seareef

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
Are they totally dead once you can only see skeleton? Your parameters would help.

Sometimes when you see the skeleton, they're is still some tissue left. So dont give up all hope, but 9 times outta 10 its gonna die unless you really have PERFECT conditions and you know how to nurse it back to health.

daniel27407

i dont have any pics but all you can see is the skeleton no coral tissue showing. im gona leave them in the tank a few weeks see if they come back to life. my water parameters are perfect.

seareef

If you dont see any tissue they are dead

You can see if anything buds off of it...but unlikely.
I'm sorry for your loss.
~Scott