Are u.v. sterilizers worth it?

fishkid2

I know u.v. sterilizers can kill free-floating algae and prevent some bacterial diseases, but is there any other reasons for getting one to improve your water quality?

I just about two weeks ago quit using one. The only slight think I have noticed as it seems like I get a little bit more algae I have to scrape off my glass. Maybe just in my head but that's what it seems like. No more bad algae anywhere else though.

al mc

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3149772
I own several units, but no longer use any of them.
Same here. Stopped using them over a year ago with no apparent problem in any of my tanks. If I were to use one again it would only be in a hospital tank situation.

aquaknight

Worth it? Definitely not. They have a high purchase price, as you'll need a higher watt model then you think for your tank size, and you have to replace the $20-$75 bulbs every 8-12 months. And in the end, it is still only proven to help against algae.
That said, if you're looking for another piece of equipment, and don't mind the cost, go for it. I had one on my 125gal, but won't be getting one for the 240, due to costs for the 50-75watt sized unit I'd want.
As for using on a hospital tank, if you actually mean a hospital, where you have a severely injuried fish/coral, yea, one can be used there, but definitely no point to using a UV on a QT. You can't use them with medications, and to be honest, if my fish have a disease, I want to see it. I do not want it to be artificially suppressed by the UV.

joerdie

I stopped using one a few years ago. From what I understand, it kills just as much good stuff as bad.

small triggers

its personal preferance in the end, if you have corals i wouldnt get one, if fish only why not? i have one i run on and off, and when i get a super big tank i will have one plumbed inline (but will not have corals) SO is the little bit of extra scraping worth paying $$ for it??

scsinet

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3151002
its personal preferance in the end, if you have corals i wouldnt get one, if fish only why not? i have one i run on and off, and when i get a super big tank i will have one plumbed inline (but will not have corals) SO is the little bit of extra scraping worth paying $$ for it??
True enough, but if there are to be any reason why not, I think the biggest one is that they give hobbyists a false sense of security. I'm sure it's not only failed to escape MY notice that there seems to be a much higher interest in UV units with newbies. Frankly, I think those of us that have been at this for a while know how little good they do and realize it's not worth it.
I think this is a double edged sword. Combine the dubious benefits of UV with inexperience and laziness, and you end up with something that becomes an excuse not to change water, not to quarantine, etc.
Is there any detriment to using UV (apart from the expense of buying and maintaining it), probably not, but there isn't a whole lot of good either, when you consider that they are hardly ever deployed properly, let alone maintained properly. Worse, when they become that false sense of security, they can invite serious trouble...

scsinet

What other equipment do you have? Perhaps there is something better you can get instead if you've got money to spend.

johnr2604

I run one just because it makes life a little easier. I don't have to clean the glass as much plus they do a pretty good job polishing the water. Is it nescessary? NO I just do it because I can. The money would probably be better spent on a quality skimmer or other stuff if you dont have it already. If you do have that stuff then what the hey? My koi pond on the other hand is a different story I woudn't live without one.

scsinet

Originally Posted by reefaholic33
http:///forum/post/3152383
As I said earlier I quit using one, but I have been wondering to they kill pods that go through them?
It depends on how you have them set up. It's all about flow rates.
Almost every UV unit is deployed improperly - usually by running too much flow through them. Flow rates through a UV unit need to be very slow... usually only about 10 gph/watt. At this flow rate, the unit will be effective at killing ich and other parasites as they flow through, but they will likely also kill pods.
Most folks run too much flow through them, making them useless at killing parasites (which is what most people want them for), but happily, also useless at killing pods.