Are unicorns real?

dottiekh

My family and I went to the zoo today. One of the best things there is the huge tropical fish exhibit they have. We sat for an incredible length of time, just watching all of the fish. We identified what was in our tank, and we pointed out what we wanted. Well, my husband saw a unicorn fish...he was enthralled. I have never seen anything like it. I have never heard anything about them. Are they tank safe? Can you get them, and if you can get them, do you want to?
I appreciate any info you can offer. Thank you

fedukeford

they are real, but they are tangs and get up to aound 15 inches, so unless you have a 200+ gallon i wouldnt suggest 1

mikeyjer

Yea they're real and just like the above post have said, they do grow huge. There's different types of unicorn Tangs, look'em up. I saw one type recently at my LFS and I thought it was ugly!!! It's still there, nobody bought'em yet. I like my Naso Tang better, it is also a part of the unicorn family. :happyfish

teen

i had one in my 45 gallon for about 2 days because my parents got him for me and he was labeled "rhinocerus fish" at my lfs. i had him for about a day, he was about 2" and then the next morning i realized he looked like a tang and he was pacing my tank. i looked him up and realized what he was so i brought him back to my lfs. he was only $20, i dont know if thats cheap or not, but anyway he was a really nice fish, just really shy.

dogstar

The fish is called Naso breviostris, it is a Surgeonfish/Tang, its from the Indian and Pacific Oceans and adults can get 23 inches. They do not have the horn when they are juviniles. It grows as they get older and bigger. They are generally peacefull but need a really large tank to be kept long term.
They are very active and reef safe. As with all Nasos' they have two cadual spines ( little 'sharp' bones ) on both sides just befor the tail.

dottiekh

Yes, it was the Columbia Zoo. Thier saltwater exhibit is incredible. The unicorn is just such an odd looking fish. I currently have a scopus tang, and he's real docile. If I could find one for $20 I would snap it up in a heartbeat. The lfs I go to (Fintastic) has never had one, that I know of. The tank is all mine. I am the one that cares for it, the one that stocks it, etc. My husband is marginally interested, but he is also the financier. So, today he saw this fish, and he REALLY liked it. So, I told him I would see what I could find out. I have upgraded from a 125 to a 250 gal tank. So, room should not be an issue. In my tank I currently have a greenbird wrasse, niger trigger, df puffer, scopus tang and four damsels. I may have to see if I can't find one. I really appreciate everyones help. I had no idea what I was looking at. Anything else you'd like to add, I'd love to hear. Thank you...

dogstar

Not sure witch one you saw at the zoo but there are 2 different species, both sometimes called a unicorn....
First is the one I mentioned in my earlier responce ( on left ) and the second is the
Naso unicornis, they get a little larger, 27 inches but not as long of a horn. ( right )
Either should do fine in the 250g for a long time if you get it small.

dottiekh

The one at the zoo was the Naso. I've been looking for one more big fish to complete my tank. I'm really starting to feel like this might be it. I can't tell all of you how much I appreciate all of your help. Whenever a question comes up, I immediately think to come here. My husband is actually starting to have suspicions regarding the amount of time I spend on this site
I just sit here for hours and read every thread I can get my hands on. Thank all of you...

dogstar

They are all genus Naso.......
The first here is commonly called a Naso tang , Naso lituratus, the second is a Blond naso, different color morph and the third is Naso vlaminngii
Which one are YOU talking about ???? You said earlier a unicorn !!!! maybe you should get the Blond one...JK