Are we the wierdest Reef Keepers in the world, or what?

crazyzeus1

OK...are we wierd or what? Is there anyone out there like us???
We have a 100gal Reef tank (only a few months old, so still very new, but pretty none the less!).
My hubby & I LOVE our inverts. We've got porcelain crabs, emarld crabs, cleaner shrimp, coral banded shrimp (one), peppermint shrimp, lots of hermits & snails...
We are SO fascinated by them that we are not that interested in adding FISH! We just added 4 green chromis, which are pretty & fun to watch, but the inverts are just so active & NEAT! We talked about not adding any more fish & just getting more inverts.
Are we odd or what? Spend all this money on the setup, livestock, maintenance, & then just consider having a 100gal invert tank :)
:thinking:

jjlittle

Lot of people do that that are very cool to watch but there are other thing fish etc that do vrey cool things as well look into a sea apple they are very awsome to watch.

crazyzeus1

Originally Posted by jjlittle
Lot of people do that that are very cool to watch but there are other thing fish etc that do vrey cool things as well look into a sea apple they are very awsome to watch.
Thanks for the suggestion! Will have to do! Glad to know that we're not the ONLY ones in the world :)
Do inverts put a bio-load on a tank like fish do?

smoney

I almost did the same thing to my 50 gallon tank, almost made it into an invert tank, but eveyone(except for me and my aquarist buddies), think that it doesnt look cool with just inverts, I guess its just what apeals best to you likes. :thinking:

gafish

Be carefull with Sea Apples if they die or become injured, they can give off a poison they will wipe out your tank, they are cool but just use care.

crazyzeus1

Originally Posted by GAfish
Be carefull with Sea Apples if they die or become injured, they can give off a poison they will wipe out your tank, they are cool but just use care.
Thanks! That is the last thing I would want to happen!!!!

speg

Ok... You are VERY weird first of all... second of all most reefers keep very little fish.. the actual corals/inverts are the focus points of a reef tank.

jer4916

i have a 125 gallon tank....i have lots of corals and lots of verts...and only 6 fish, 4 of which are cromis's ..... im VERY skitish about buying fish...they die to often....corals rock....inverts rock....but i will be buying fish slowly over time...but yeah...im in your boat..hehe

mudplayerx

I only have 2 fish in my 55 gallon tank, a psychedelic mandarin and a yellowtail damsel. Every other inch is packed with corals, shrimp, crabs, etc lol.
I'm running out of room for the darn xenias. I'm gonna have to start selling them again.

ophiura

You're only weird when you get deeply into debt and study (mostly dead) inverts in grad school for 9 years or so.
Oh wait...that's me.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you love your snails, you might consider finding a new home for your hermits....because they willl eat/kill them for their shells or just to be mean. And, snails are worth their weight in gold in a reef tank, whereas hermits are worthless in a reef tank.

crazyzeus1

Originally Posted by Beth
If you love your snails, you might consider finding a new home for your hermits....because they willl eat/kill them for their shells or just to be mean. And, snails are worth their weight in gold in a reef tank, whereas hermits are worthless in a reef tank.
WOW! I had no idea! My LFS set up the tank & did our original invert list, which included many hermits. Heck, even this website has their Cleaning Crew packages with both types of critters!
If there are extra shells in the tank, would they still kill the hermits for their shells?

computrgk

yeah i've kinda gone away from fish and moved towards inverts love em they are so interesting BTW i just bought a porcilian crab should i suplement with phyto or marine snow or will he filter out of the water and LR just curious

crazyzeus1

Originally Posted by ComputrGk
yeah i've kinda gone away from fish and moved towards inverts love em they are so interesting BTW i just bought a porcilian crab should i suplement with phyto or marine snow or will he filter out of the water and LR just curious
We use Phyto & Marine Snow....The porcelain crabs seem to "filter" with their fans more on the days I feed this, but maybe it's just me. We feed the phyto & marine snow for our corals...

killergoby

It's even-Stephen in my tank because I have one CBS and one Fridmani Psudo.

Some of those reef safe Fairy Wrasses are very cool.