are yellow tangs nasty?

bot587

im thinking of getting a yellow tang, are they nasty or could they be kept with other small fish as long as i added it last

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by Bot587
im thinking of getting a yellow tang, are they nasty or could they be kept with other small fish as long as i added it last

not nasty... just a little kingly over other fishes. and more so, they're only aggressive over their same kind. so i don't think you're gonna have a problem. they also do get along well with their tankmates.... i have one, and he's the biggest.. he's kinda like the protector for all of them. :happyfish :happyfish
try looking at this site... it gives you the idea of fish compatibility...
*Link Removed*
*Sorry, links to competitor sites aren't allowed. Post the picture itself without the link please*

120reefer

IMO, many of the genus Zebrasoma i.e. (yellow,purple,sailfin,gem,ect.) can generally be more agressive towards other tankmates, but moreso with that of the same species. Especially with fish introduced after already being acclimated...

reefstar22

mine was aggressive, if your going to get a tang get something cool. Getting a yellow tang is like buying a ford if your a millionare... go all out... buy a bmw or mercedes. :hilarious Get a Blue Hippo...or a chevron tang....make your tank amazing. not standard!

nasovlam

I had yellow tangs years ago when I had a FO tank and never had problems. My last yellow was very mean. It would chase just about everything in the tank but didn't purusue them too badly when they went into the LR for cover -- it even tried to attack me on a couple of occasions during tank maintenance. I was tempted to flush it when I got my vlamingii tang as it wouldn't leave it alone even though it was bigger than the yellow. I was really concerned because it did nick up the vlamingii with its "scalpel". After a few days, the vlamingii was more at home in the new tank and started to flare his fins and act threatening to the yellow tank. I never saw him attack the yellow but it all got sorted out with the vlamingii taking over as "top fish" and the yellow seemed happy enough with it. (Despite the vlamingii being top fish, he was never aggressive towards any other fish in the tank.) In fact, the yellow became a lot more sedate after that. Maybe the morale is that yellows can get nasty if there is no one else (in terms of size or aggression) to keep them in line?

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by Reefstar22
mine was aggressive, if your going to get a tang get something cool. Getting a yellow tang is like buying a ford if your a millionare... go all out... buy a bmw or mercedes. :hilarious Get a Blue Hippo...or a chevron tang....make your tank amazing. not standard!

right-o there, mate! the more color you have, the better! most of the tangs are great looking, and well prized too! i got a yellow, a regal, a kole, and my new guy, the sohal tang! i don't have a problem with my yellow tang.. he's really nice. my kole actually is the most aggressive of them. he's the one always looking for trouble! ahhahaha

dmitry

According to the poster's profile the largest of three tanks he has is 29 gallons. Even a Yellow Tang is too big for that. Nevermind any other Tang. A 29 gallon tank would not be amazing; it would be a coffin.

mryoung7

Originally Posted by Dmitry
According to the poster's profile the largest of three tanks he has is 29 gallons. Even a Yellow Tang is too big for that. Nevermind any other Tang. A 29 gallon tank would not be amazing; it would be a coffin.
agreed. any size tang will be miserable in such a small tank.

xdave

Heres a fun fact I learned from a contact at a collection station " for every yellow tang bought at a LFS, several hundred will die to replace him" . This came up because they had a sale on YT so I called to ask how they looked. He was very exited that over half of them came in alive and only 20% of them died in the next 2 days. These numbers made him happy, how 'bout you?

cptrigger

Originally Posted by mryoung7
agreed. any size tang will be miserable in such a small tank.
I tend to agree. I learned this the hard way in that I have excellent water conditions, checked by several people, and bought a yellow tang this weekend and woke up and it was dead. LFS replaced after conditions checked and woke up this morning and it too was dead. BTW, I have a 37-gallon tank.
CPT

scarface

I had to give my yellow tang away he kept attacking my regal angel and my achilles and I was not having that