Originally Posted by fish1031
8 pints in a gallon.
no idea on the star.
yes 8 pints.. and the star is the sun
Keep it polite, please.

fender

3 friends are on a cross country trip.
They stop at a cheap hotel on the way.
The desk clerk charges them $30 for a room.
They each pay $10.
Later the manager is going over receipts and tells the clerk that he overcharged for the room and the total should have been $25.
The manager sends the clerk to the guests room with 5 $1 bills to pay them back.
The clerk thinks to himself that you can't evenly divide $5 between 3 people so he pockets 2 of the bills.
He knocks on the door, explains to the guests that they overpaid (but not by how much) and gives them each 1 dollar.
The guests have now paid $9 each...they paid $10 to start and were given a dollar back making $9 each.
The clerk pocketed $2.
If each paid $9 and $9 x 3 = $27 and the clerk pocketed $2.... we have $29 accounted for.
Where did the other dollar go?

bayside

that shw isnt fair. all the fifth graders are just learning all that stuff so it is fresh in their memory and the adults arent the brights folks around haha

ruaround

it didnt go anywhere because the hotel kept $25... $25 + 3 = $28... the other $2 is in the bellhops pocket...

aztec reef

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
The adults are faking ignorance. What a lame show. I'll never watch it again.
I want my hour back!
thats what i think too! it's unbelivable the stuff that they don't know or like you said they're faking it. that's lame! i'm going back to watch telemundo

aztec reef

Originally Posted by BellaNavis
I know I am not as smart as a 5th grader, and I spell worse then one too!!!
how long did it take you to spell out that sentence?

wangotango

Originally Posted by bayside
that shw isnt fair. all the fifth graders are just learning all that stuff so it is fresh in their memory and the adults arent the brights folks around haha
a lot of the stuff is kinda common knowledge though so if a person made it anywhere in life they should be able to answer some of them. want a show that will stump people: "can you figure out my math homework?" (my mom and dad couldnt, it had too many letters in it)
-Justin

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ruaround
it didnt go anywhere because the hotel kept $25... $25 + 3 = $28... the other $2 is in the bellhops pocket...
NO,No, NO, you have to look at the question at hand. They each paid $10 then were each given back $1 which equals $9 each. 9x3=27 +$2 that the bellhop pocketed. That is $29 I want to know how mathematicaly that is possible given the figures provided. I know it can be broken down with change and you are correct that the hotel kept 25+3+2, but the original equation was that they each paid $10 then each given $1 back which brings their cost to $9 each. It is a very interesting question.

bang guy

Originally Posted by sepulatian
NO,No, NO, you have to look at the question at hand. They each paid $10 then were each given back $1 which equals $9 each. 9x3=27 +$2 that the bellhop pocketed. That is $29 I want to know how mathematicaly that is possible given the figures provided. I know it can be broken down with change and you are correct that the hotel kept 25+3+2, but the original equation was that they each paid $10 then each given $1 back which brings their cost to $9 each. It is a very interesting question.
They each paid $9 for a total of $27. The Hotel got $25 and the Bellhop Got $2.

lion_crazz

Alright, here is a sequence question for everyone to figure out:
What is the sequence that these numbers follow:
8--5--4--9--1--7--6--3--2--0

suchbuy05

a good brain teaser but
you can't subtact 3 from 30 and add 2 back and expect to get back to 30

grips

I see.....
You are adding the wrong numbers. It is just a play on words. They did pay $27.00 each. That is $25.00 for the room and $2.00 for the bellhop. There is your $27.00 plus the $3.00 that the bellhop gave back. It's not 27 + 2 because the bellhops money is already a part of the $27.00. The only thing missing from the sum of $30.00 is the $3.00 that the bellhop gave back. Get it?

larryndana

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Alright, here is a sequence question for everyone to figure out:
What is the sequence that these numbers follow:
8--5--4--9--1--7--6--3--2--0
This is making my brain hurt.
Are you smarter than a 5th grader, i'll say NO.

aztec reef

look at it this way, the clerk is the 4th and the 5th person. that's were the $2 dollars are. and one of that dollar is the one missing..

ruaround

the original question i already answered...
Originally Posted by ruaround

$25 (the hotel kept) + $3 (the money given back) = $28... the people DID NOT pay $9 for the hotel room they actually paid $8.33 because the bell hop kept $2... its not a interesting question... its a question to get you to focus on something other than the true answer... hence the reason why they are called "riddles"...