Arranging LR

kraftybob

I am about to put my first LR into my 29gal tank. For the time being, I am ordering 50lbs. Besides propping the base rocks up on PVC (or something similar) about my sand bed (~2.5"), any suggestions on arrangement of the LR to maximize its effectiveness and beauty?

lepete

2.5" is too shallow for PVC/eggcrate. When the tank is operational, you might have high and low points due to the high current shitfing the sand. At the low points, you'll see PVC or eggcrates.. not pretty.
This is what I did: Get base rock (dead LR or tufa rock) from a petstore. Set those down first. Then, pour in the sand. Then, put the larger LRs on the base rocks. Then, top it off with the smaller LRs.

lepete

Originally Posted by KraftyBob
Do you recommend that I put down more sand? Or is 2.5" enough?
That's up to you. I have about 2" of sand.
PVCs are used mostly to prop up rocks for Deep Sand Beds (DSBs). DSBs are rare in the display tank. They are more common in the sump, away from view.

N

nereef

2.5" is enough in a display tank. it just depends on how you want it to look. personally i like tufa. it is very porous so it doesn't displace a lot of water. you should put the base rock in, then the sand, then the heavier live rock, then the lighter live rock on top as stated above.
as for maxamizing beauty, I like the looks of two big piles of rock (one on each end with the middle open), or one big pile in the middle. just my aesthetic opinion.

mudplayerx

Make sure that you make as many nooks and caves as possible. You want the current flowing through the formation in order to maximize the rock's filtration of the water, and to avoid dead-flow spots which can lead to algae blooms.
Use the big, heavy pieces on the bottom and the lighter pieces with interesting features on the top. This is to both provide a stable foundation of the structure, and to allow the nice features of the rock to stand out.
Most importantly, do not allow the live rock to rest on the glass. While it is acceptable (but not desirable) for the rock to touch the glass, it definately should not utilize the panels as a means of support. This also makes it easier to clean the glass, as you have room to navigate.